Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Nostalgia & History > NP6: 5 unit combo - SCL, SLSF, UP

Date: 09/27/20 06:54
NP6: 5 unit combo - SCL, SLSF, UP
Author: valmont

1. Feb. 8, 1970   this is one of my favorite NP pics ...
2. Feb. 8, 1970
3. Feb. 8, 1970
Bailey Yard, all my pics unless noted

Here's a comment from an earlier post of one of the pics:retcsxcfmThat 800 at North Platte is in a consist of one of the first trans-con trains.They ran from Bailey Yard to Waycross,Ga. I ventured north to catch the UP-SLSF-SCL
consist many times.

Uncle Joe-Seffner,Fl.

Date: 09/27/20 16:30
Re: NP6: 5 unit combo - SCL, SLSF, UP
Author: ctillnc

Seaboard's late "jolly green giant" scheme. The southeast would have been a more colorful place if SCL had chosen it instead of ACL's black with yellow. 

Date: 09/27/20 19:32
Author: Trainhand

They were called "Green Hornets" by the SAL crews.This was a SAL paint scheme, with just the name changed.

Sam

Date: 09/28/20 01:09
Author: Notch7

In earlier days on my part of the Seaboard, the "Green Hornet" term applied to the SAL green super cushion boxcars.  On the Southern the term was used for the early Chevy Suburban crew trucks.

Date: 09/28/20 01:33
Author: Notch7

Back in my early days, the Frisco 800's ran out of Hamlet NC on no. 215, which was a Frisco run through also.  A few times some Frisco F's made the trip to Hamlet too. The 800 class Frisco high hood U25B's were a trip to run.  You had a throttle stand that was like mounted from the ceiling with a flat bar reverser and the long aluminum 16 notch throttle. I remember the brakestand was in front of you.  The overhead horn rope was right in front of your line of vision and had a large pear shaped wood handle in front of your eyes.  The engine ran decent, but you couldn't gouge it out.  You had to let it build its load.

Date: 09/28/20 09:40
Author: Trainhand

I heard the boxcars refered to as "Green Hornets" also.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds