Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Nostalgia & History > Monday morning rush hour trains at South Amboy, 1980

Date: 09/28/20 10:15
Monday morning rush hour trains at South Amboy, 1980
Author: thebluecomet

For a few months back in 1980, I had every Monday off instead of Sundays.  This allowed for grabbing some things not normally running on weekends.  I spent a few hours in the early morning at South Amboy, NJ capturing the morning parade headed up the North Jersey Coast Line from Bay Head Jct to Newark and New York.  I later chased a Raritan River train that was posted some time ago.  I am missing two slides of former CNJ trains, so this is somewhat incomplete.  This time frame was prior to any extension of the overhead wires to either Matawan (1983) or later to Long Branch.

1.  E8 4325 leads train 3308 as seen on the very south edge of town.  The Raritan River interchange tracks veer off on the right.  The State of NJ found they had a paint scheme in the early days by copying the U34CH colors found on those units running on the old EL side.

2.  Former CNJ GP40P 4107 leads train 5310 en route to Newark through town.  The normal pre-merger operating scheme remained in effect for several years after the Conrail merger.

3.  A Jersey Crescent unit brings train 3312 into town.  4330 was a former Southern unit still in its green, white and gold Southern Crescent livery.  The 3300-series trains were former PC trains and changed engines to the GG-1's here at South Amboy.  All photos from June 9, 1980.

Date: 09/28/20 10:20
Re: Monday morning rush hour trains at South Amboy, 1980
Author: thebluecomet

4.  This image was posted a few weeks ago, but I will add it as it is part of this same group.

5.  4248 arrives with train 3320 at the station and will commence the ten minute engine change to a GG-1 for the trip into New Yrok Penn Station.

6. NJ DOT lettered GG-1 4883 awaits a eastbound train.  

Date: 09/28/20 11:13
Author: krm152

South Amboy was still a great place in 1980.
Thanks for you photo posting.
ALLEN

Date: 09/28/20 11:30
Author: refarkas

Super set.
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds