Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Torrance Switcher . . .

Date: 09/28/20 11:04
SP Torrance Switcher . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   back in SEPT '89, business was good at the Torrance Team track, off Western Ave, on the eastern border of Torrance, CA. This is the only time I ever saw a single GP working the job. A half mile ahead the track ends at 228th Street, where decades earlier, this former Pacific Electric line, that made a loop west from a line that followed Normandie Ave all the way from Gardena to San Pedro, used to reconnect to the line to San Pedro. At the time, this was as far as the job went on the branch, and, was about to shove all these loads of lumber across Western Ave, around a near ninety degree curve across 223rd Street, where the spur divided into two tracks, each holding nine or ten cars. The milepost 502, is the rail distance from SP headquarters in San Francisco. Today of course, this line is long gone.
JB 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/20 11:08 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 09/28/20 12:46
Re: SP Torrance Switcher . . .
Author: spider1319

Back in the good old days.Thanks for posting.Bill Webb

Date: 09/28/20 14:05
Author: SPDRGWfan

Always nice to see an SP diesel with the light package still intact.

Date: 09/30/20 20:07
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice catch, I wish I caught a ttrain near my old great grandmothters house where they still had a Wig Wag!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds