Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Nostalgia & History > MoPac Monday: Just a Couple of B-Boats

Date: 09/28/20 11:24
MoPac Monday: Just a Couple of B-Boats
Author: ironmtn

I was never much of a roster shot guy, but on occasion I would remind myself to take a few shots in that style, particularly when the engines were standing still and in clear and easy view. That was often the case at the north end of Lesperance Yard in St. Louis, Mo., where there were a couple of stub tracks on some old freight house leads near the Chouteau Ave. grade crossing. They weren't really ready tracks, but both yard and road power would be spotted there from time to time, out from underfoot of switching activity and the service tracks, but able to be easily retrieved when needed. It was a quiet spot just outside the main yard area to get a few units out of the way. And for fans, it was just outside the busy downtown area, and an easy spot to take a few steps off the sidewalk on Chouteau Ave. for a roster shot or two without working anyone up into a lather.

Here's B23-7 4670, one of 15 such units MP took delivery on in 1981 (after some other groups of the model in 1979, '80 and '81) spotted next to the old freight house, idling away before going to work. These B23's were not particularly popular, and had the reputation of being hard-riding on those GE rubber-spring-planked "floating bolster" trucks, a piece of sales promotional wishfulness in the eyes (and other body parts) of some engine service folks whom I know. "Floating-what" my a#^&!!"  (There are at least a couple of engine-service friends here on TO who have gone on with me at some expletive-filled length about how much they hated these units for their riding qualities and other shortcomings as they worked on them on other roads....).

Would the ride have been any better on U23B 4506, riding on classic AAR Type B trucks, after being built as the 674 in February, 1973 (and later renumbered as the 2256 before it became the 4506)? I will leave that evaluation to those herein who have ridden in service on both types of trucks, and on either side of the cab. But I will opine that despite all of the criticism that MP's solid Jenks Blue paint scheme has taken over the years, the 4670 looks pretty darn sharp and beefy wearing the scheme. You could certainly do worse. Thanks for looking.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

(PS -- Oh yeah, and the Western Pacific Geep coupled up to the 4506? Sorry, can't find the slide. Bummer. Will save it for another day...if found).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/20 11:36 by ironmtn.

Date: 09/28/20 12:35
Re: MoPac Monday: Just a Couple of B-Boats
Author: callum_out

Why is ride an issue? They never made it over 18 mph! I remember a train in Pine Bluff, had three of those
on the point and about 200 cars. Wow that was like in the eighties and it's the same today!

Out 

Date: 09/28/20 12:39
Author: PasadenaSub

Looks like the 4506 ended up with an EMD cab somewhere along the line.

Neat roster pics for MoPac Monday.

Rich

Date: 09/28/20 12:55

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is ride an issue? They never made it over 18
> mph! I remember a train in Pine Bluff, had three
> of those
> on the point and about 200 cars. Wow that was like
> in the eighties and it's the same today!
>
> Out 

In fairness, I did mention "other shortcomings". And yes, my friends have discussed those, too. At considerable length, and number. Including how well (or not!) they pulled. And made transition. And a few other things....
I just focused on the ride because, well, they're standing still in these two images, and the two types of trucks are such a prominent detail in the two roster shots. The pulling stuff is yet to come.

MC

Date: 09/28/20 13:10

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like the 4506 ended up with an EMD cab
> somewhere along the line.
>
> Neat roster pics for MoPac Monday.
>
> Rich

Thank you for noticing that. Forgot about mentioning that. There were five MoP U23B's that got so-called EMD "Spartan" cabs after being damaged in wrecks: MP 2256 / 4506, 4521, 4528, 2282 / 4531, 4534.

According to a couple of MoPac-interest websites and other mentions on the Web, the story goes that MoPac had several EMD cabs on hand when the first wreck or two happened, and this subsequently became standard practice for U23Bs, as well as one B23-7 (the 2296 / 4507), and one U30C (the 3311 / 2976). I know I have an image of the U30C with the EMD cab somewhere, and I'll have to dig it out and post it. Looks quite odd with the short, stubby GE nose, which was retained.

Thanks again for the sharp-eyed catch.

MC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/20 13:15 by ironmtn.

Date: 09/28/20 18:42
Author: tomstp

MOP officially limited them to 50 MPH due to" rough riding"  but, many told me they kept them "under 40" and they were still rough.

Date: 09/28/20 19:36
Author: SCKP187

No matter what qualities they had, or lack of, these are a couple of beauties.  Thanks for showing them.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/29/20 07:32
Author: LocoPilot750

Yes, the ride was much better with the later truck design. We had both on the SANTA FE/bnsf. I believe the later design used a "floating bolster", and rubber pads, where the old outside equalizer type didn't.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0549 seconds