Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Nostalgia & History > Chessie freight and an old image in Sterling,Oh

Date: 10/16/20 08:05
Chessie freight and an old image in Sterling,Oh
Author: gcm

Dec 75
Ex-B&O GP40-2 4123 heads west with a train about to cross the Erie Lackawanna at RU Tower in Sterling,Oh - about 21 miles west of Akron.
I always wondered where the station was in Sterling, glad I ran across this shot from John W. Barriger.
Taken +-40 years before, in the 30's, it shows the station between the two railroads (Erie on the left with B&O right).
The building on the right could be a B&O station thus two in town or maybe a freight building.
I took my shot between the EL mains just ahead in the Barriger image.
Looks like the station was just beyond the CPL signal.
Learn something every day.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/20 08:06 by gcm.

Date: 10/16/20 08:34
Re: Chessie freight and an old image in Sterling,Oh
Author: tq-07fan

Great images! I need to get up to Sterling at some point just to feel what was there. In both the before and after you can see that the pole line for the B & O crossed the tracks behind the station in between the tracks to give another clue as to where it was. In cleaning the house yesterday I thought I had too many boxcars from too many different railways for whenever I build an N scale layout depicting circa 1980. The photos of this train shows that I need more boxcars.

Jim

Date: 10/16/20 09:07
Author: refarkas

Well-done photos - What a difference between the earlier phot and your photos!
Bob

Date: 10/16/20 13:12
Author: krm152

Your B&O Sterling photos are certainly nice action photos. 
The Barriger photo gives a great layout of the location. 
Thanks for your insightful and interesting posting.
ALLEN  

Date: 10/16/20 14:58
Author: SPJoe

Nice action shots Gary!

Joe

Date: 10/16/20 23:09
Author: WrongMain

I've always been a fan of "going away" shots, and yours is a gem.  Nice look at the head end boxcar freight besides seeing where the train is headed.  Very nice!

Date: 11/02/20 15:42
Author: MEKoch

The old Barriger pic has the freight house between the B&O and the Erie.  They exchanged LCL freight here.  Erie originally being wide-guage and B&O being standard gauge.  The freight house was moved and went through several other lives, but now rests west of the former crossing on the Erie right-of-way (which is now a well-used trail).  The building is owned by the trail and railfans gather there each Wednesday afternoon.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0545 seconds