Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > Looking for the Bellefonte Central

Date: 10/16/20 13:56
Looking for the Bellefonte Central
Author: eastpenn23

Outside of downtown Bellefonte and State College, there aren't many (any?) remnants of the Bellefonte Central that shut down in the early 80's. Either way, I went searching for some history with the help of OpenRailwayMap. I took pictures of some former road/RR crossings, but there was no evidence of a rail line except for the tree line.

1 - By Buffalo Run Rd
2 - This gravel path is the former RoW
3 - BFC's Coleville engine shops by Bellefonte, now used by the Nittany and Bald Eagle

Date: 10/17/20 12:11
Re: Looking for the Bellefonte Central
Author: FT

Well, seems nobody else has Belfontane Central shots
 to post, so I dug out some of what I have.
5623 and cab  6-15-66  no credit on slide mount
5624 switching plant 8-31-79 by Bob Wilt
5624 in trees 8-31-79 Bob Wilt

following post
5623 Centerville, TN 10-19-79 on new owner South Central Tennessee RR  by David M Johnston
NOTE this was only about six weeks after the 5624 pix still at Bellefonte!

Keith A (ft)

Date: 10/17/20 12:12
Author: FT

Last shot. In Tenn, on SCT
ft

Date: 10/17/20 13:35
Author: eastpenn23

Nice! thanks for sharing

Date: 10/17/20 19:03
Author: RuleG

Thanks, eastpenn23 for starting this thread and posting your photos.  Thanks FT for the historic photos of my hometown railroad.

There is a Bellefonte Central rail trail, 1.3 miles in length with one end at the Penn State arboretum.

Another existing Bellefonte Central remnant is the freight house on North Atherton Street in State College, PA.  It is currently used as a bus terminal for Greyhound and Fullington Trailways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/20 20:12 by RuleG.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds