Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Santa Fe on Tehachapi Loop

Date: 10/24/20 22:35
A Santa Fe on Tehachapi Loop
Author: MacBeau

An eastbound passes below the loop with only three of five units on the point working, but by the time they crossover themselves atop Tunnel 9 the C30–7 appears to be back on line. A lone SD40–2 brings up the rear.
Be of good cheer,
—Mac
www.lowellamrine.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/25/20 05:10
Re: A Santa Fe on Tehachapi Loop
Author: eljay

A nice look back with excellent production. Thanks for sharing!

Date: 10/25/20 07:01
Author: run8diesel

Excellent video!  Thank you for posting this gem.

Steve Zahn
Glenview, IL

Date: 10/25/20 07:18
Author: Evan_Werkema

Late 1990, maybe?  I'm surprised to see 8024 still running on Santa Fe rails that late, as it was part of the group traded back to GE for a deal on the 500-series Dash-8's.  It would end up as a Conrail Leasing blue dip rent-a-wreck and head to scrap in 1997.  The 8101 never technically left Santa Fe's roster, but it too would go into GECX lease service, end up leased to BN, and rejoin the fold when BNSF happened.  It was ultimately exported to ALL in Brazil.

Date: 10/25/20 09:18
Author: tgcostello

That was terrific, Mac.  Well filmed and well edited.
Thanks, TC

Date: 10/25/20 12:21
Author: Milwaukee

More great audio and video. Thank you for sharing. Can't get enough of the old sounds of mountain railroading.

I think all power was online with the exception of the FP45 throughout the clip. I believe I can see the exhaust heat plume silhouetted in the first view for all but that unit and hear all but the FP45 when they pass the camera.

The EMD GP40 is a former Milwaukee Road unit. That unit went on to be rebuilt into a GP38-3 and is currently working for the Finger Lakes in New York wearing a nice NYC inspired scheme. This unit may outlast all the others in active service.

Date: 10/25/20 21:14
Author: Fizzboy7

A real treat watching real railroading.  It hasn't been the same up there in quite some time.
I'd say the last two units were dead as it first passed.   Then the last unit is restarted somewhere along the loop, as scene doing a good steam impression.
Thanks for sharing!
Jason

Date: 10/26/20 05:58
Author: SPDRGWfan

I was wondering about the date as well, guessing early-mid 1990's.  For the times, nice video.  I sure which there was hi-res back then!

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 10/26/20 12:38
Author: MacBeau

Sorry for not including the date, June 1990.
—Mac

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Late 1990, maybe?  

Date: 10/26/20 20:07
Author: ProAmtrak

Awesome video, I for one miss those days!

Date: 10/26/20 21:50
Author: RailRat

Super enjoyable video!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 10/27/20 19:19
Author: CR6377

Also before I think Santa Fe made helpers be cut into a train too instead of shoving on the rear as well.

Marc L

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0375 seconds