Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > Noon at Naperville -- Part 2

Date: 11/19/20 17:42
Noon at Naperville -- Part 2
Author: MartyBernard

INTRODUCTION:  A. C. Kalmbach spent hours one mid-day at Naperville shooting trains on the CB&Q 3-track mainline (aka., racetrack).  Sets of 35mm slides were produced from them and sold by Blackhawk Films and called "Noon at Naperville".  No date is given.  My guess is circa 1960.  As you will see the captions, which I'll put in quotes, are not railfan type captions.  I'll add roster and other information where I can.

The quality of the Blackhawk duplicates and the years gone by have left the slides quite blue.  Eliminating the blue has not left much color, but I did my best.  The slides would not sharpen up much.

Published with permission.

NOTE: Several commenters have said the series was taken before 1955.

1. "Typical long Burlington caboose graces rear of freight train."  Circa 1960, A. C. Kalmbach photo.

2. "In the few idle minutes between trains, a section gang works near Naperville station."  Circa 1960, A. C. Kalmbach photo.

3.  "Graceful curve just east of town is photogenic."  Circa 1960, A. C. Kalmbach photo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/20 19:23 by MartyBernard.

Date: 11/19/20 17:43
Re: Noon at Naperville -- Part 2
Author: MartyBernard

4. "Fourth main track was planned here to bring the Great Northern into Chicago."  Circa 1960, A. C. Kalmbach photo.
   (I do not know who wrote the captions.)

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/20 17:57 by MartyBernard.

Date: 11/19/20 17:54
Author: Milwaukee

This is great material. Please keep the series coming.

Thanks

Date: 11/19/20 18:49
Author: cutboy1958

Housing on that  curved area  now?

Date: 11/19/20 19:02
Author: ironmtn

Another great set of Al Kalmbach images -- thanks, Marty. Appreciate the work to share them with us. Keep 'em coming!

Date: 11/20/20 02:01
Author: IC1038west

What a terrific series of images. Photo #2 only 2 tracks signaled. I am guessing that main 1 track signals are hidden behind the canopy? TO contributer Englewood found a google article a few years ago on the Q east end signalling prior to the whole segment going bi-directional CTC for all three mains. Very good read.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds