Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe Saturday film KC Ks 18th Street Turner Morris Holliday

Date: 11/21/20 11:13
Santa Fe Saturday film KC Ks 18th Street Turner Morris Holliday
Author: KCRW287

Short film clip from the Santa Fe around KC Ks. The 18th street & Turner shots have no Y&B warbonnets that I could see. The 18th Street shot  shows a couple of vehicles parked on the levee, and if they are taking pictures they are having a field day. Then to Turner for a couple of outbounds and the East hump job working. Morris is later time frame, with the depot and old elevator, I thought I might of caught Lance's camp car when he started for the ATSF, but this is a few years later, then a light power move thru Morris and then Holliday Unknown photographer, Jim Will collection

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/21/20 11:47
Re: Santa Fe Saturday film KC Ks 18th Street Turner Morris Hollid
Author: Evan_Werkema

GP38's and U23B's in the scenes prior to 3:35 means it's 1970 or later, and the FM's and RSD-15/slug set means it's before 1974.  The lack of blue and yellow warbonnets suggests it's toward the early end of that time frame.  The scenes at Morris could be anywhere from the late 70's to the early 80's.

Date: 11/21/20 12:12
Author: KCRW287

Thanks Evan, it is great  to have the info. KCRW287

Date: 11/21/20 12:38
Author: santafe199

As usual, Evan is spot on. I concur with both of his time era estimations. That first train at Morris (with reefers mixed in) looks like it might be a 308, or 309 train. About thr right time of the day departing Argentine. BTW: both manifest trains usually qualified to run 70 MPH! And that bunk car (or whatever it is) behind the Morris depot is an old boxcar, where my old bunk car from 1974 (AT 203551) was a converted baggage car. It's neat to see the Morris Section crew shanty/tool house still in place on the other side of S 74th  St...

Lance

Date: 11/21/20 14:23
Author: LocoPilot750

The sand plant is still there, but Jack Jones lumber is long gone, just like the FM switching it.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/21/20 15:16
Author: LocoPilot750

In the first scene, as it pans towards the east, there's a big F unit consist, looks like one the Blue Bonnets on the east end. I think those happened after Amtrak took over passenger operations.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/21/20 21:08
Author: Evan_Werkema

LocoPilot750 Wrote:

> In the first scene, as it pans towards the east,
> there's a big F unit consist, looks like one the
> Blue Bonnets on the east end.

Both of the silver-sided A-units in that line have front ends that look darker than you'd expect for the red of the passenger scheme, but could they really both be blue bonnets?  For those who don't know, "blue bonnet" is a railfan nickname for the passenger F's from the 325-class that had their red fronts repainted blue for freight service.  There were only seven blue bonnet cabs, so while finding two of them in one place wasn't out of the question (especially at a place like the Argentine diesel shop), it wouldn't have been a common occurrence.  We're looking at the shadow side, and I can't make out a red stripe along the bottom edge of any of the three boosters we see, either.  It's even harder to believe that two cabs and three boosters in one place are all blue bonnets, so I'm reluctant to say any of them are.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds