Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Nostalgia & History > Has it really been a year?

Date: 11/22/20 06:48
Has it really been a year?
Author: santafe199

Exactly 1 year ago today steam fans all over the railfan world were focused on the ongoing Event of the Year. And they knew where western Kansas was. That’s because the snowy, wind-swept plain of the Sunflower State was the stage for one of the final ‘legs’ of Union Pacific’s “Big Boy” #4014 on its journey back home to Cheyenne. And it seemed like everybody and their dog (and cat ;^) got out to chase & photograph the spectacular occasion.

I certainly did my share, chasing it from just outside Kansas City all the way into northern Colorado before breaking off. Along the way I bumped into a few railfans I knew. Some by name and reputation. And a few fans I’d been friends with, but hadn’t seen for some time. At Collyer, KS (see image #2) I had a brief visit with Mr Mike Prickett, a fan I’d known since the mid-80s. Now a retired UP engineer out of Salina, the last time I saw Mike he was through my view-finder in Ellinwood, KS. He was standing next to fellow retired UP hogger Bob Helling (“PRose” here on TO) getting ready to shoot the WSOR E unit-led passenger equipment while it was touring K&O property in 2015 (see image #3).

1. UP 4014 rolls west near McAllaster, KS. Mike & I played “hop-scotch” with each other and about a zillion other steam maniacs on the 4014’s trek out to Sharon Springs.
(Photo by Mike Prickett)
After Mike got this shot I was set up at a crossing just west of the US hwy 40 overpass west of Wallace. See this link: ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4915985,4915985#msg-4915985 ).

2. UP 4014 a bit earlier in the day at Collyer, KS. Mike & I are set up on opposite sides of the 8th St crossing. I’m a bit surprised I didn’t snap a shot of Mike with his camera ready to shoot, something I usually always try to do in circumstances…
(Photos 1-2 taken November 22, 2019)

3. …just like this one. Here are Mike Prickett (on the left) with TO member Bob Helling in Ellinwood, KS. WSOR E-unit #101 + passenger equipment are close: ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3731515,3731515#msg-3731515 ).
(Photo taken April 30, 2015)

Thanks for the image, Mike!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/23 02:32 by santafe199.

Date: 11/22/20 07:00
Re: Has it really been a year?
Author: SP8595

My Dad and I were out there as well. Nice seeing you at Sharon Springs:}

Date: 11/22/20 08:55
Author: tomstp

#2 is great picture with gobs of steam.

Date: 11/22/20 10:26
Author: Odyssey

Lance, Thanks for sharing the images!
Yep, I like #2 as well ...
I rendezvoused with the 4014 in Sharon Springs that night
and chased to Limon the next day ...

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 11/22/20 17:04
Author: WichitaJct

Yeah, really like #2.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds