Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe Seventies show . . .

Date: 11/26/20 10:06
Santa Fe Seventies show . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   on a hazy summer '70 day, a westbound Santa Fe was descending the Tehachapi's at Walong, CA, led by a typical mixe of makes and models.
JB

Date: 11/26/20 11:00
Re: Santa Fe Seventies show . . .
Author: coach

I remember those days.  Edison was a busy place for reefer carloadings, too.  So much to see back then.

Date: 11/26/20 19:20
Author: WichitaJct

Great pic thanks for posting. What a lash-up: 2 SD40s on the point, an SD24, an SD45, a GE, and some guy enetering the cab on the 6th unit which I can't tell what kind of loco it is, and then it looks like another SD45. Sure miss the old days when you could see a lash-up like that. Now it's just so many orange and black GEs. ,

Date: 11/26/20 20:27
Author: 4451Puff

WichitaJct Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> some guy enetering the cab on the 6th unit 
That unit appears to be a Alco 'Gator.

Desmond Praetzel, "4451 Puff"

Date: 11/26/20 21:16
Author: Evan_Werkema

WichitaJct Wrote:

> a GE, and some guy enetering the cab on the 6th unit which I
> can't tell what kind of loco it is, and then it
> looks like another SD45.
  • The GE with black-on-white numberboards and radiator wings would be an 8500-class U33C, not a terribly common sight on the Santa Fe in California.
  • The sixth unit is an Alco RSD-15.
  • The seventh unit doesn't have flared radiators, so it's not an SD45.  Hard to be sure, but it looks like it only has two radiator fans, which would make it a 4000-class SD39, another rare catch.  I can't tell for sure if it has the brakewheel stand at the end of the long hood, another feature Santa Fe's SD39 had and their SD40's did not.

Date: 11/27/20 09:02
Author: texchief1

Nice shot, JB!

RC Lundgren

Date: 11/27/20 10:13
Author: ntharalson

Had me fooled for a moment, JB.  Thought it was ascending as it passed over Tunnel 9, but the signal gives it away as descending just out of Tunnel 10.  Nice shot, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/20 18:44 by ntharalson.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds