Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Saturday Santa Fe . . .

Date: 11/28/20 12:24
A Saturday Santa Fe . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   back in JAN '73, it was just another westbound descending the Tehachapi's at Walong, CA.
JB

Date: 11/28/20 12:30
Re: A Saturday Santa Fe . . .
Author: SPJoe

Santa Fe Blues ! Nice !

Joe

Date: 11/28/20 12:59
Author: santafe199

Were those "bell-ringers" really as bad as everyone says? We RARELY got a GP35 through Emporia, or anywhere on the Eastern Lines for that matter...

Lance

Date: 11/28/20 13:04
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I thought it was considered correct that the Rio Grande and Santa Fe both had their GP-35's figured out electrically so they were reliable units.   ??

Date: 11/28/20 13:37
Author: trackplanner

Guess they kept them as far from Chicago HQ as possible, lol! They were all over SoCal for many years. Great photo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/20 13:38 by trackplanner.

Date: 11/28/20 13:40
Author: Txtrainman60

It's amazing any GP38s made it to Calif. back then as they were bought for Texas, Oklahoma, and points east. Thanks again for posting shots like this!

Date: 11/28/20 14:31
Author: Evan_Werkema

Txtrainman60 Wrote:

> It's amazing any GP38s made it to Calif. back then
> as they were bought for Texas, Oklahoma, and
> points east. 

Santa Fe did assign its second generation roadswitchers regionally for a while.  Some GP38's were used in California when they were brand new, but it's very rare to find a photo of a 3500-class in blue and yellow warbonnet (post-1972) that far west.  A few early photos have turned up of Santa Fe U25B's in California, but they and the GP20's tended to stay on the eastern end of the road until the ATC/cab signal system was dismantled.  For that matter, since their maintenance hub was Argentine, freight U-boats other than the U36C's were rare generally in California.  The photo I've never seen is one showing a 6300-class U23B in California in the old blue and yellow pinstripe scheme.  When I asked if anyone had ever photographed a Santa Fe U23B (6300-6348) in the Golden State, period, the photos that folks came up with were all from the very tail end of the units' existence in 1988, as though they were given a free California vacation as their retirement trip:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3137989

Date: 11/28/20 16:30
Author: 3rdswitch

When the 38's were new, many worked the "Valley" north of Bakersfield. I also remember visiting Santa Fe's Los Angeles area Redondo Junction roundhouse with a girl friend and going up in the cab of a pair of brand new U33C's that would be used on the Super C the next day, and getting a shot of her in the seat.
JB

Date: 11/28/20 16:47
Author: Evan_Werkema

3rdswitch Wrote:

> I also remember visiting
> Santa Fe's Los Angeles area Redondo Junction
> roundhouse with a girl friend and going up in the
> cab of a pair of brand new U33C's that would be
> used on the Super C the next day, and getting a
> shot of her in the seat.

Like the U25B's and GP38's, Santa Fe's U33C's visited California when they were new, then virtually disappeared:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1345989
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3085173

Date: 11/29/20 09:24
Author: texchief1

Nice shot, Joe!

What happened to the girlfriend?   Just another california girl?

RC Lundgren

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When the 38's were new, many worked the "Valley"
> north of Bakersfield. I also remember visiting
> Santa Fe's Los Angeles area Redondo Junction
> roundhouse with a girl friend and going up in the
> cab of a pair of brand new U33C's that would be
> used on the Super C the next day, and getting a
> shot of her in the seat.
> JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds