Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Nostalgia & History > Forty Friday: Hard Labor

Date: 01/08/21 09:50
Forty Friday: Hard Labor
Author: MacBeau

Three UP SD40—2's climb eastbound through Cozy Dell back in '92. Should one choose to count cars, the whole train is featured with some interesting scrap loads among them, and almost no graffiti.

Be of good cheer,
—Mac

www.lowellamrine.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/21 23:02 by MacBeau.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/08/21 10:36
Re: Forty Friday: Hard Labor
Author: perklocal

That sound of Hard Labor is Sweet !

Date: 01/08/21 11:06
Author: goneon66

that sure brings back some memories.  thanks for posting.........

Date: 01/08/21 14:53
Author: bobdavis

Neat video.  Not being at all familiar with the area, must be a really steep grade for three SD's to be down to a crawl ike that unless there were a lot of heavy loads in those 75 cars.

Bob

Date: 01/08/21 15:57
Author: espee4ever

No helpers, wow! I remember these days pretty well, the underpowered drag freights and the overpowered AAPL stacks with helpers. I was surprised a set of help wasn’t tacked on to the end. I bet the SF dispatcher was happy to have this train off his division. Thank you for sharing another great video.
—Michael

Date: 01/08/21 17:54
Author: tiltone

The box car six back would of been nice behind the power as it say's it all   Thanks for posting enjoyed very much Cheers Dennis

Date: 01/08/21 17:58
Author: wingomann

Great video of what has become my favorite era of railroading.  We didn't realize it at the time but that was some fun years.  SD40's and 45's on the mainline.  Still a mixture of freight cars with a lot of the per diem cars still around.  Even some 40 footers thrown in.  Good times were had.

Date: 01/08/21 18:09
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Moving along pretty well for 75 cars ( a few empties ) and 9000 hp, making 15 to 18 mph maybe. Not down in the short time rating yet. 

Date: 01/09/21 09:35
Author: RailRat

Great video!
And congrats on VOTD

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 01/09/21 10:52
Author: mcdeo

Great video, love Cajon, miss visiting for sure. And the sweet sound of 645 prime movers, what I grew up with. I think UP ran just one set of helpers out of Hesperia, so they may be somewhere else on the hillr just not called. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 01/09/21 18:44
Author: ntharalson

bobdavis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat video.  Not being at all familiar with the
> area, must be a really steep grade for three SD's
> to be down to a crawl ike that unless there were a
> lot of heavy loads in those 75 cars.
>
> Bob

The grade is two point two per cent in this area and will remain that way on this track to Summit, about ten miles further east.  The other track will have a three point one percent grade from about a mile railroad east of this point to Summit.  Cajon is a tough grade..

Nice video, Mac, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/21 07:30 by ntharalson.

Date: 01/09/21 22:42
Author: GreenFlag

Nice video and sound, thanks for posting. Three SD40s were good for 3600 tons up Cajon. 

Date: 01/10/21 18:18
Author: cvrrr

Love the of SD’s working hard like that. Sure miss it!!!

cvrrr

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds