Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Nostalgia & History > So, You Want to See EARLY American Freedom Train?

Date: 01/15/21 15:33
So, You Want to See EARLY American Freedom Train?
Author: march_hare

Well, it doesn't get much earlier than this. 

We are in Glyndon MD (Emory Grove on the Western Maryland), basically suburban Baltimore. I'm a college student on spring break, living out of my 1967 VW for a few days, and while visiting the WM in Hagerstown the day before, had heard that the AFT's steam engine would be making a test run. It's March of 1975, and while ordinary college students are headed for 9 days of alcohol, weed, and casual sex on the beach in Florida, I'm chasing trains in the rain. 

You can judge the results of that decision. (Although, truth told, the casual sex part  was not all that readily available,  so it was a less difficult decision than you might think ). 

At the time, I'm sure I viewed the hi-rail station wagon as an obstacle, something to be maneuvered around, rather than an element in the photo. Fortunately, I shot the pic anyway. Glad I did. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/21 16:17 by march_hare.

Date: 01/15/21 15:48
Re: So, You Want to See EARLY American Freedom Train?
Author: march_hare

Coming by the depot 

Date: 01/15/21 15:59
Author: RMD23

And a slumbercoach to boot!

Date: 01/15/21 16:03
Author: BoilingMan

Very nice- Ross should get a kick out of these.
SR

Hey, that station wagon is probably the most obvious choice one could think of- it's an Oldsmobile Vista-Cruiser!   Brilliant!  (GM's styling mimic of a dome car)

Date: 01/15/21 17:25
Author: refarkas

Three historic treasures.
Bob

Date: 01/15/21 18:35
Author: atsf121

That station wagon is awesome! I remember lots of station wagon rides as a kid, including the ones my parents owned at various points before the upgraded to a battle wagon - Suburban.

Great pictures, so much to enjoy.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/16/21 00:58
Author: ClubCar

Absolutely great photos especially since it is the ex-Reading 2101 on the old Western Maryland Railway.  The track that the engine is actually running on is now the Maryland Midland track with the other track on the left is still owned by CSX, heading up to Hanover and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and on to Hagerstown, Maryland.  The Emery Grove Tower Building is also long gone torn down by CSX.  Thanks for the great memories as I have ridden the Western Maryland many times back in those good-ole-days.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0345 seconds