Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Nostalgia & History > CSX GP38-2 and a rail train - Flomaton,Al

Date: 02/21/21 12:12
CSX GP38-2 and a rail train - Flomaton,Al
Author: gcm

Dec 90
Southbound on the ex-L&N through the yard in Flomaton,Al.
The area still looked like the L&N days with searchlight signals, code lines and a coaling tower.
The north-south line the train is on was the route of the Humming Bird and Pan-American.
The line curving to the right went to Florida and was the route of the L&N Gulf Wind and Amtraks Sunset Limited (began in '93 ?).

Gary

Date: 02/21/21 12:54
Re: CSX GP38-2 and a rail train - Flomaton,Al
Author: ln844south

That brings back memories!  Flomaton was a busy place at one time. Just above the coal tower is Escambia Junction there the Southern Alabama branch headed toward Selma, Al. That branch was always fun to work. Out of the mainstream of things with great crews.
Just to the right center is the site of the Flomaton Passenger Depot. This was a  two story wooden structure that lasted intact up till Amtrak. The Gulf Wind and Pan American still served Flomaton before  Amtrak. It was replaced with a pre fab yard office that set back to the right out of the picture.
The depot at Flomaton sat in the "Crouch" of the wye. Just beyond the blue metal building you can see the north leg of the wye going toward Pensacola. Had a regular Montgomery job plus extra unit trains of rock, coal and grain going south.
I deadheaded from Pensacola to get a loaded rail train coming south from Montgomery. When it stopped, the train was hanging through the crossovers from the number 1 to number 2 main and the power was sitting on the north leg. Since no slack in a loaded rail train, was a challenge to get it started.
Not much left of Flomaton. All the business toward Pensacola has fell off to a trickle with the line east of Pensacola spun off to a shortline.  Southern Alabama is pretty much dead, Most all the locals that worked out of Flomaton are gone. Just the trhough trains going  from Montgomery to Mobile, Al..  Only reason, as I understand, the coal tower survives, as too expense to get it down, so part of the Ellen N still lives in Flomaton.
Lot of Junctions like this are now gone.
Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or

Date: 02/21/21 12:58
Author: tomstp

It is a very  interesting picture.  thanks for posting it. With a population of 1,652 people I imagine it is not what it used to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/21 12:59 by tomstp.

Date: 02/21/21 13:25
Author: refarkas

Your overhead view makes this even better. It looks like the team track is still in use.
Bob

Date: 02/21/21 13:51
Author: gcm

ln844south Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That brings back memories!  Flomaton was a busy
> place at one time ----
> Steve Panzik
> Chiloquin, Or
>  

Thanks for the stories around Flomaton.
I wish I could have visited during the L&N years although I did get to pass through on the Humming Bird in the 60's.
Gary

Date: 02/21/21 14:01
Author: RodneyZona

Also, passenger train and engine crews on the old L&N  Pan American and the Humming Bird based out of Mobile and worked to and from Montgomery through Flomation. Passenger train and engine crews on the old L&N RR Gulf Wind worked out of Pensacola, FL  and worked to and from Flomation, AL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/21 14:02 by RodneyZona.

Date: 02/21/21 16:02
Author: ln844south

Pensacola psgr crews worked out of Pensacola in turnaround service. Only 44 mile run each way.
Just before the end of psgr service, the L&N changed the connection at Flomaton between the Gulf Wind and the Pan American to discourage patronage. Before this happened,  the North and South Pan along with the Gulf Wind turning back met at Flomaton at the same time. Inbound Gulf Wind  (412) cars were switched in to the southbound Pan while the northbound Pan was setting out cars for the outbound Gulf Wind, (411). In the meantime the Gulf Wind's power ran the wye and went to the engine tracks up by the coal tower to be serviced. Lot of action for about an hour then all quiet again. Inbound Gulf  Wind cars went to New Orleans and back on the Pan American.
When I was still in high school, I would ride the Gulf Wind every Friday night from Milton, Fl ot Flomaton and return which could be done in one night. Those old head psgr crews were great and took time to mentor me which led to a 30 yr career in Engine Service  with the L&N (CSXT) out of Pensacola.
Experiences that young folks will never have!

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or

Date: 02/22/21 08:29
Author: SP8595

Great catch and shot!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds