Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Nostalgia & History > Train, Jawbone Branch, 1974

Date: 02/21/21 15:00
Train, Jawbone Branch, 1974
Author: smf2mry

May 1974.  Between Mojave and Cantil, California.  Only after scanning did I notice that in front of the wood chip cars is a caboose.  Perhaps somebody knows why it was placed at this point in the train.

Date: 02/21/21 15:35
Re: Train, Jawbone Branch, 1974
Author: TonyJ

I've seen two cabs on a long train going to Trona, but they were both on the rear. They were used as a dormitory car for over stays. See two cabs separated in this image makes me wonder if the cabs were separated for easier switching on account of limited track space at Trona.

Date: 02/21/21 15:54
Author: 3rdswitch

Looks TO ME like the rear five cars and caboose with continue north as the Lone Pine Local? OR were continuing south after the local died at Searles, with the power moved to head end? Depending on direction.
JB

Date: 02/21/21 16:07
Author: inyosub

WOW All this time I could have been running an Apache Rwy Chip gon on my Layout and it would have been prototypical? Banner!
I think the comment about one caboose and block of cars continuing on to to Lone Pine and the other staying at Searles would be
correct. I guess* it may have been needed for the Trona Rwy train out to Trona. But I don't see why that would be an SP responsibility.
That said it may have been needed for a train returning from Searles. In other words the Lone Pine crew continues on with it's 5 cars;
meanwhile a patch crew puts together a train at searles either with other power there, or some brought on the headend (without seeing
the power we don't know; But Typically the Lone Pine ran with a single SD or a couple of 4 axles) Power could even have run thru to
Trona and return and be there on the connector ready to return with a train of loads off the Trona. Just needing a caboose and crew.
I always been fascinated by the interactions of the various trains out on the Jawbone. 

Date: 02/21/21 16:11
Author: WAF

Rest caboose, IIRC. No hotels nearby

Date: 02/21/21 16:38
Author: callum_out

The BN box might have gone thru to Lone Pine, the chip cars most likely are for Linnie.

Out 

Date: 02/21/21 17:20

Hi WAF the only reason I question it just being a rest cab. is because it  perfectly splits the Lone Pine (cars moving
past Searles incl. Linnie) and the cars to be set out at Searles. Don't mean it ain't what it's for, but why I held forth
with Alternatives. If we could see the power, might have a better clue. Even the BN car could be for Linnie as they liked the 
Double door boxcars. 
This Picture sells a huge amount of info for me. Would like know what the odd chip hopper ahead of the Apache car was
marked. Also the Apache cars and the ATSF chip gons tells me something I didn't know.That at least some of the chips
were hauled out to Snowflake Papermill on the Apache. Something I didn't know. Since I model that traffic if means some 
new routing for cars on the Model RR that I didn't know of or think of before. I do hand of cars to ATSF in Mojave so
this is pretty kewl. 
Now if the crew is only Going to Linnie, and not continuing on to Lone Pine where they could Hotel. Then the sleep coach
would make some sense and cause a restless night out in the desert near Linnie on Rest. Wonder if they lit a bonfire?
Bowrrrrllll   (coyote)  LoL

Date: 02/21/21 17:22
Author: kenN

The second caboose was requested by the rear brakeman.  The conductor liked his burritos and green chili. KJN

Date: 02/21/21 17:37

inyosub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi WAF the only reason I question it just being a
> rest cab. is because it  perfectly splits the
> Lone Pine (cars moving
> past Searles incl. Linnie) and the cars to be set
> out at Searles. Don't mean it ain't what it's for,
> but why I held forth
> with Alternatives. If we could see the power,
> might have a better clue. Even the BN car could be
> for Linnie as they liked the 
> Double door boxcars. 
> This Picture sells a huge amount of info for me.
> Would like know what the odd chip hopper ahead of
> the Apache car was
> marked. Also the Apache cars and the ATSF chip
> gons tells me something I didn't know.That at
> least some of the chips
> were hauled out to Snowflake Papermill on the
> Apache. Something I didn't know. Since I model
> that traffic if means some 
> new routing for cars on the Model RR that I didn't
> know of or think of before. I do hand of cars to
> ATSF in Mojave so
> this is pretty kewl. 
> Now if the crew is only Going to Linnie, and not
> continuing on to Lone Pine where they could Hotel.
> Then the sleep coach
> would make some sense and cause a restless night
> out in the desert near Linnie on Rest. Wonder if
> they lit a bonfire?
> Bowrrrrllll   (coyote)  LoL

Its possible, but the rest caboose I have seen on the train in other pictures doesn't look mainline worthy

Date: 02/21/21 22:13
Author: Evan_Werkema

inyosub Wrote:

> Would like know what the odd chip hopper ahead of the Apache car was marked.

Pretty sure the light colored car ahead of the blue Apache chip gon is another kind of Apache chip gon.  Originally they were off-white/light yellow and lettered "The Apache Railway" in black, but eventually at least some of them got Southwest Forest Industries blue:

www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2458017
www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2458017

Date: 02/22/21 09:43

Thank you Evan, that was a kewl bit of reaserch to dig that up.  
Now I think* I have one of the other* Apache chip gons somewhere
I need to dig out.  
I appreciate your sharing/Finding that photo of this hopper. Would be
a heckuava project to create. 

Date: 02/22/21 10:21
Author: smf2mry

To add to (or not )the wood chip car discussion, here are what appear to be SP cars at Cantil, Fall 1970.

Date: 02/22/21 11:37

gotta luv this stuff if your a jawbone fan.
My whole layout idea was based on the old RX for a Broken Jawbone in Trains mag.many moons ago.
I want to say I know who the author was, but with out looking I'm not sure and don't want to error.

Date: 02/22/21 12:37

Growing Up With Trains Vol1 has a small photo spread on the branch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/21 12:44 by WAF.

Date: 02/22/21 14:14

I have that somewhere ! lol

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0899 seconds