Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Nostalgia & History > Twenty Tuesday, Santa Fe . . .

Date: 02/23/21 16:09
Twenty Tuesday, Santa Fe . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   very early into the "Yellow Bonnet" repaint program, a twenty was fresh from the San Bernardino paint booth, shown at the Barstow engine facility in DEC '72, before the decision was made to go with silver trucks. Normally I would have never taken a shot like this from the wrong sun side, this was probably one of the first units I had seen in this paint so I made the exception, and, looking back, I am glad I did.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/21 16:12 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 02/23/21 16:53
Re: Twenty Tuesday, Santa Fe . . .
Author: Txtrainman60

I'm glad you did too! That may very well be the ONLY photo I've seen of a yellowbonnet GP20 with black trucks and yellow stepwells!!! THANKS for the photo! 

Date: 02/23/21 18:43
Author: Milwaukee

She looks right of of the box!   I'm also very happy you caught this unit in that moment and have shared the photo with us here.

Why does the unit have the semi circle shaped projection of the cab over the numberboards?   Was that unique to ATSF GP20's?

Date: 02/24/21 01:27
Author: Evan_Werkema

Milwaukee Wrote:

> Why does the unit have the semi circle shaped
> projection of the cab over the numberboards? 
>  Was that unique to ATSF GP20's?

I've heard it was an extension of the antenna ground plane.  It was an after-market addition and to my eye made the units look like they were wearing a baseball cap.  The SD26's had a less pronounced but similar extension.

Date: 02/24/21 02:47
Author: refarkas

First-class roster photo given your circumstances - Well done.
Bob

Date: 02/24/21 09:44
Author: texchief1

Thanks for posting this fine shot!

RC Lundgren

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds