Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Nostalgia & History > CalTrain visits San Francisco's waterfront

Date: 03/02/21 17:35
CalTrain visits San Francisco's waterfront
Author: photobob

A CalTrain exhibition train visits San Francisco waterfront in front of the State Belt Roundhouse, What was the occasion and date?

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 03/02/21 17:57
Re: CalTrain visits San Francisco's waterfront
Author: phthithu

Photo B., Someone posted about this on the Facebook the other day. May 1982 was the the timeframe. Great shot by the way. There may, or should, be a beautiful crimson WP boxcar spotted in front of the Belt roundhouse. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/21 18:21 by phthithu.

Date: 03/02/21 18:34

A couple view from the air looking in same direction via Google Earth. 1938 steam power on the whisker tracks but by 1948 the Belt has dieselized. Also in 1938 looks a street car line terminated at Sansome and Chestnut. Gone by 1948. Both photos made using Google Earth. The images are by Harrison Ryker via davidrumsey.com. 

Date: 03/02/21 18:43
Author: dwatry

This might have been the demonstration train to extend Caltrain services from 4th & Townsend to the Ferry Building during the period when Caltrans ran the Caltrain service.  The extension didn't go anywhere, and after the 1989 earthquake brought the Embarcadero Freeway down, the State Belt trackage was replaced by SF Municipal Railway streetcar trackage.

Date: 03/02/21 20:49
Author: jimB

Bob, I have it as 5/16/1982. I didn't note any purpose for the display, so think it was just a display of the new, and it turns out unique, Caltrain image. I don't have any other photos from that day to indicate anything else was on display.

Jim B

Date: 03/02/21 21:05
Author: BoilingMan

I was around too.  It was more than just CalTrain, Amtrak had a train on display too.  I don't remember the reason for this either, but yes- 1982.  I was still with Greyhound, driving out of San Francisco at the time.
SR

Date: 03/02/21 21:14
Author: BoilingMan

Another from the same day (night) down at 7th Street.
SR

Date: 03/02/21 23:01

Epic shots BoilingMan! 

Date: 03/03/21 09:37
Author: donaldcurtis

This was probably related to National Transportation Week, often held in various locations around the country.  These were usually in May around the Golden Spike Anniversary date.

Date: 03/03/21 09:45
Author: spider1319

All super cool  shots.Rare to boot.Bill Webb

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0545 seconds