Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Nostalgia & History > When you're sure things won't change, they will! Lost views Pt 1.

Date: 04/20/21 04:22
When you're sure things won't change, they will! Lost views Pt 1.
Author: Roadjob

So many changes in fifty years in the railroad industry that it makes ones head swim. Technology, topography, environmental, and just the natural evolution of the clock, take what is always and turn it in to what used to be. I use our passion, the railroad industry, since we have seen the evolutionary wheels turn on all fronts in the past half century, in ways that made the switch from steam to diesel pale in comparison. Just a piece of evidence presented today is one of those things one would think would be a forever shot. You are looking down at an eastbound coal train assaulting the west slope of Sand Patch in 1977. Western Maryland is now history, so the image was taken from atop the massive Salisbury Viaduct that carried the WM main across the B&O and a large valley. This bridge is now a bike trail, but back then one had to be a little bit on the daring, or crazy side to walk out along the abandoned bridge. It was worth it at the time, because of the incredible view it did offer for Chessie/B&O eastbounds. Why the lament....today the realignment of Rt. 219 to bypass Meyersdale Pa. cuts right through the center of this shot, totally destroying this view. Topography, technology, and environment, and the ticking clock combining to make that always moment, history and nostalgia....By the way, the 2 front units are a helper out of Hyndman Pa that mostly worked westbounds up the east slope, but would assist eastbounds up the west slope when needed.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 04/20/21 05:13
Re: When you're sure things won't change, they will! Lost views P
Author: perklocal

That is a nice sized Coal Drag coming up the West Slope. Probably out of Somerset off the S&C Branch. Bill, you are correct about being daring or a little crazy to do this. I questioned my sanity more than once walking out on that bridge to get this shot. But as you say, it all seemed worth it after you saw the results. Those were the days ! 

Date: 04/20/21 05:59
Author: refarkas

What a beautiful scene! The train curves back and seems to go on forever.
Bob

Date: 04/20/21 06:09
Author: SPDRGWfan

Nicely composed photo!

Date: 04/20/21 07:08
Author: ClubCar

Thank you Bill as always for the great photo.  I never walked on the Salisbury Viaduct but like many others, I rode the Western Maryland over it and I rode on the B&O below it.  "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end" as the song goes.
John in White Marsh, Maryland 

Date: 04/20/21 11:15
Author: map

I found this modern view taken from the viaduct courtesy of Google Maps.  The angle is close to Bill's photo and really illustrates his point about changes.  At least the access to the viaduct is made easier and safer thanks to iron railings.

I think about the only thing the same between the two is the electric tower next to the tracks.

map

Date: 04/20/21 13:53
Author: EL833

Nice Bill ! Ventured out there a couple of times. I would guess there was a set of helpers on the back of this one. That curve about 15 cars back was notorious for derailments too.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 04/20/21 14:07
Author: bigsavage

Photos from GAP Trail site:
1. looks north/northwest, much encroachment from trees/shrubs.
2. Overhead looking east, note windmills on far mountain at right.
While the highway (and the windmills) are both intrusions on the landscape, the highway at least makes it possible to reach the NS West slope area within an hour.

Date: 04/22/21 08:12
Author: TheApostleGreen

When EMD Ruled the World....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0557 seconds