Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Nostalgia & History > Who's tower is this?

Date: 04/21/21 07:57
Who's tower is this?
Author: valmont

Need help with ID on this one ...

Date: 04/21/21 08:03
Re: Who's tower is this?
Author: fbe

The colors on the crossing shanty indicate NP. The wooden add on to the brick tower is painted different from any railroad standard I am familiar with.

Date: 04/21/21 09:00
Author: retcsxcfm

I think all brick towers are rare.That may be a clue.
The Seaboard Air Line had one at Baldwin,Fl.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 04/21/21 09:18
Author: dan

Milw on the bridge down there?

Date: 04/21/21 10:53
Author: wabash2800

One clue might be that the signal mast is painted white. Who did that? Up until the 30s early 40s the Wabash had white signal masts, but I think this photo is later than that. I am going to guess somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, but I may be very wrong. Also the bottom signal is very low unless there had been one btw the top and bottom one in the photo. Perhaps it is a indigenous style with a particular RR? I don't think the Wabash had any signals like that. As someone mentioned earlier there is what appears to be a railroad overpass in the background. This must have been an interesting location with three RRs in the vicinity.

Edit: Also note there is another RR that parallels this line on the left. You can see a three headed semaphore signal and the middle blade is vertical.

Victor A. Baird
erstwhilepub@live.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/21 11:02 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/21/21 11:06
Author: zr190

Depending on the Rule book, the position of the signal on the mast was part of the indication.  A yellow in that position was a restricting.
If it was in the Number 2 spot, it could be diverging approach.
zr190

Date: 04/21/21 19:37
Author: 57A26

At the crossing in the background, there appears to be a Griswold crossing signal.  The kind with the rotating stop sign.

Date: 04/22/21 14:05
Author: rrman6

You just taught me something about the Griswold STOP signal.  I've seen photos of them but never thought of them with a rotatiing sign.

The shanty, although that being like SOO property, the Rock Island had a similar paint scheme, however, based on the tower, signals, etc. I doubt this is Rock Island.

Date: 05/04/21 16:29
Author: Gonut1

Sure looks like the Pacific Northwest. Tukwila vicinity?
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds