Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Nostalgia & History > Conrail OLS Harrisburg-Hagerstown 22 years ago yesterday

Date: 04/22/21 12:00
Conrail OLS Harrisburg-Hagerstown 22 years ago yesterday
Author: perklocal

On 4/21/99 my buddy and co-worker Tom Luckey (TO:globalethanol) and I decided to take a mental health day and play hooky from work.  We got wind that Conrail was going to operate an Operation Lifesaver Special from Harrisburg,PA. to Hagerstown,MD. and return on the Lurgan Branch.  We realized that the opportunities for photographing  CR Office Car Specials with their E8s were coming to an end.  The NS/CSX split was getting close.  It was another rather sketchy day weatherwise. The train was symboled OCS-101 with E8s 4021 and 4020 for power.  The consist of nine Office Cars was 10, 11, 4, 5, 3, 55, 27, 12 and 9.  Top shot of OCS-101 coming under the PA. Turnpike at Rossmoyne,PA. (MP 6 Lurgan Line)   Going away shot from the same spot with Theater Car 9 on the rear.  Bottom shot taken along I-81 passing the Cumberland Valley CO-OP Mill at Shippensburg,PA.

Date: 04/22/21 12:06
Re: Conrail OLS Harrisburg-Hagerstown 22 years ago yesterday

Top shot at Marion,PA.  Middle shot after just crossing over the Maryland border near Maugansville,MD.  Bottom shot just south of Maugansville,MD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 15:43 by perklocal.

Date: 04/22/21 12:24

Top shot passing the long retired tower now known as CP-TOWN coming into Hagerstown,MD. alongside the (ex-WM) CSX. They ran the power around the consist and as they got ready to head back north on the return trip we were lucky enough to get a side by side with the CSX Hanover Local with a Mother and Slug set. Bottom shot of OCS-101 heading back to Harrisburg near Maugansville,MD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 15:40 by perklocal.

Date: 04/22/21 12:34

Top 2 shots coming and going at Walnut Bottom,PA. Now Office Car 10 was bringing up the markers.  Coming into Brandtsville I spotted these trout fishermen wading in the Yellow Breeches Creek and thought they would make a good photo prop.  They thought we were there to take their picture until the crossing bells and airhorn caught their attention.

Date: 04/22/21 12:43
Author: dschlegel

Excellent series! I was less than a month from getting married when these were taken and consumed with finishing school, helping with wedding planning, planning a move once married, and getting ready to start a new career.

Looking at these I wish I would’ve taken a mental health day too!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/22/21 12:50

By the time we got through all the traffic in Harrisburg, the OCS had already pulled down the ramp off the Lurgan and was backing into the Amtrak station to unload it's passengers.  In the middle shot you can see GG-1 4859 in it's PRR livery on display under the trainshed.  We were about to start heading for home when we learned that they were going to take the consist up to Rockville and turn it on the wye. They were setting the train up for it's next move of which I can't recall at the moment. Bottom shot heading for Rockville near where the Fuel Pad is located.

Date: 04/22/21 13:08

Top shot going away near the Fuel Pad area.  Middle shot coming throgh Lucknow just below Rockville.  Last shot of the OCS being turned at Rockville Bridge.  The weather could have been better but we were satisfied.  It was kind of a sad feeling for Tom and I who had been Conrail fanatics since 4/1/76. We didn't really know exactly what to expect with the upcoming NS/CSX split up of Conrail.  But it turned out to be a great way to say goodbye to the Conrail Office Cars that we had pursued for 23 years !

Date: 04/22/21 13:20
Author: Roadjob

A plus on this series of shots! You guys busted ass on that coverage!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 04/22/21 13:22

Thanks Bill, we knew this was it and we would never get another chance !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 13:23 by perklocal.

Date: 04/22/21 13:38
Author: krm152

An absolutely excellent photo series.  Definitely like each and every one.
Thanks for your posting.
ALLEN

Date: 04/22/21 14:21
Author: bigsavage

In photos 5  (Daley RD.)and 9 (Rieff Church RD.), you are in Maryland as PA 163 State Line Rd., marks the border.
Most of your photo locations along the Lurgan are still viable.
Chasing has gotten more difficult as trains can reach 55 mph now.

Date: 04/22/21 15:37
Author: Kemacprr

That was a great trip. I got to ride on that one 22 years ago. ---------Ken 

Date: 04/22/21 16:05
Author: globalethanol

Rodney. Beautiful! I remember that day like it was yesterday. We had breakfast at the Cove Diner.
The OCS got stabbed at Mount Holly Springs for NSSE. And the Conrail cop was at Rockville trying to bust everybody.
Then we beat it back to see it at Alburtis.I was thinking of this at work today but couldn`t remember the exact date
We were gonna go to Starucca to see it a few days later but it rained cats and dogs.Thanks for putting these on Trainorders bro! Talk soon.

twl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 16:08 by globalethanol.

Date: 04/22/21 16:52
Author: jgilmore

Terrific set, love the shot with the fishermen. Gotta say I never liked the paint scheme on this train, too bland and too much like dirt. Can you imagine how it would've looked in CR Blue?! JG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 16:55 by jgilmore.

Date: 04/22/21 18:03
Author: Lackawanna484

Ujgilmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Terrific set, love the shot with the fishermen.
> Gotta say I never liked the paint scheme on this
> train, too bland and too much like dirt. Can you
> imagine how it would've looked in CR Blue?! JG

Wasn't the Conrail KCS originally in Conrail blue?

Didn't Mr Crane order it painted into more traditional colors?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/22/21 18:13
Author: Hou74-76

Roadjob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A plus on this series of shots! You guys busted
> ass on that coverage!

I could not have said it any better. Good job of busting your ass with a great series.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds