Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Nostalgia & History > Pueblo Colorado Four Decades Apart

Date: 06/18/21 20:58
Pueblo Colorado Four Decades Apart
Author: ATSF5669

Given the processes of change that accompany every aspect of life I spent some time looking through some of the pics in my archives, comparing them with what exists today.  While in Pueblo a few years back for the Santa Fe hysterical convention provided the opportunty to revisit a place I had first encountered in 1975, and then after separating from the military in 1987 spent the next ten years working in and out of for the Santa Fe.  The pics speak for themselves.  The few physical changes that are apparent to the eye reveal a much different railroad scene, reflective of both the changes industry-wide consolidation brought, as well as the changing nature of the economy in general.  The major visible changes include the removal of the fuel rack on the Santa Fe side, as well as the removal of the mini-hump that was opened in the mid-50's.  Not visible is the elimination of the crew district between Pueblo and LaJunta as well as between Denver and Pueblo.  Crews now work Denver-LaJunta or Trindad-Denver.  The yard tower has been empty for decades with the yardmaster duties handled from Denver's 31st St yard. On the left is the DRGW yard, all but silent under UP direction with the shutdown of the Tennessee Pass line and the Kansas City-Pueblo MP abandonment.

Date: 06/18/21 21:03
Re: Pueblo Colorado Four Decades Apart
Author: jgilmore

Great series, Pueblo really took a hard hit with all the changes you noted, as well as the decline in local industry. Much harder hit than other places out west, almost like a rust-belt eastern city...

JG

Date: 06/18/21 21:06
Author: ATSF5669

Last pic.

Date: 06/19/21 07:21
Author: tomstp

Pueblo used to be one hell of a railroad town.  Shame to see what is left.

Date: 06/19/21 07:48
Author: EricSP

I imagine when they shutdown the blast furnaces and coke ovens at CF&I it had a significant impact on the railroads and industrial employment in Pueblo.

Date: 06/19/21 09:46
Author: spider1319

Good post and narrative.But,the good news is that the short crew district between Pueblo and Denver was disliked by most road crews.Bill Webb

Date: 06/19/21 10:11
Author: cozephyr

Rail traffic is indeed lighter these days at BNSF's and UP's Pueblo Yard.  Image shows BNSF's Pueblo Yard early one May 2021 morning.  Occasionally, Progress Rail units show up coming or going to the Transportation Technology Center.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/21 10:18 by cozephyr.

Date: 06/19/21 22:24
Author: Pinlifter

Great look back!  Just one minor thing..  Rennicks YM in Denver controls Pueblo.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds