Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Nostalgia & History > Warbonnet Wednesday: A Desert Morning Meet

Date: 08/04/21 18:58
Warbonnet Wednesday: A Desert Morning Meet
Author: MacBeau

First seen climbing out of Klondike, a westbound is seen meeting an eastbound that is followed for some distance as it descends Ash Hill, April 1994.
Be of good cheer,
—Mac

PS  It is with great appreciation to TO member Evan Werkema that two black & white monographs covering the Santa Fe have been published electronically and are ready for both examination and purchase. Sample spreads can be viewed at the following URLs for both volumes.

Santa Fe Blues Volume I
Santa Fe Blues Volume II

Thanks for looking,
—Mac
www.lowellamrine.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/21 19:15 by MacBeau.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/04/21 19:29
Re: Warbonnet Wednesday: A Desert Morning Meet
Author: srman

Excellent! Always enjoy your videos. 

Date: 08/04/21 19:35
Author: train1275

Nice Video !!

Date: 08/04/21 22:01
Author: oyw

Tremendous video from the best of times!

Date: 08/05/21 01:50
Author: AndyBrown

Excellent!  What would we give to shoot those consists today?

Andy

Date: 08/05/21 04:36
Author: Evan_Werkema

Even in those days, there weren't many Class 1's where you could find 20-cylinder EMD's leading main line intermodal trains.  In 1994, SD45 5395 was just one month shy of a quarter century old, and FP45 92 was 26-years-and-counting.  Credit Santa Fe's in-house capital rebuild programs with adding another decade-plus to these units' careers.  SP was also still fielding SD45's and 45T-2's in main line service at this time, for the same reason.  UP and BN, by contrast, had gotten rid of their last 45's in 1987 (though both would end up merging with roads that still rostered examples).  CNW still had a few SD45's on the property in 1994, some of which were former BN, but I don't know how many were operational versus rotting in deadlines.  KCS didn't buy SD45's new, but had some 16-cylinder "SD40-3's" made out of other roads' cast-off SD45's. Don't know when Conrail, NS, and CSX got rid of their last 45's, but I'm pretty sure they were done by 1994 as well.

Date: 08/05/21 08:42
Author: espee4ever

Outstanding video showing scenes that will never be repeated again. Thank you for sharing another gem from your collection. I like the clean look of your website too!
—Michael

Date: 08/05/21 08:54
Author: sp8192

Man the early 90's were great...keep em coming!!

Date: 08/05/21 09:05
Author: mcdeo

Great stuff, thank you for sharing. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 08/05/21 09:32
Author: pal77

Don't know when
> Conrail, NS, and CSX got rid of their last 45's,
> but I'm pretty sure they were done by 1994 as
> well.
CR put them out to pasture in Sayre PA in '86,  not sure on NS but GTI bought some in ~'87 others showed up as leasers around the same time not sure about CSX but I think a few lasted longer.  Thats straight 45's CR former EL 45-2's faired much better as several of the original 13 still work for NS & CSX not sure how many with 20 cylinders though. 

Date: 08/05/21 11:13
Author: SantaFeRuss

Great scene. Thanks for sharing. Some of Santa Fe's SD45-2 units remain in service on Burlington Northern Santa Fe now. Rebuilt and repainted but still rolling after 38 or so years.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 08/05/21 20:54
Author: Conch

Really enjoyed the sights and sounds in this one. Thanks for sharing!

Posted from Android

Date: 08/06/21 20:08
Author: ProAmtrak

Awesome video!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds