Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Nostalgia & History > A few Boston & Maine,

Date: 09/14/21 09:39
A few Boston & Maine,
Author: bobdavis

In October 1977 several of us were headed north to get a steam trip with the CN 4-8-2 6060 and on the way caught some Boston & Maine trains around East Deerfield on the 13th.  The weather wasn't the greatest but I'm glad we took the time to get the shots we came up with.  The first one is eastbound NE-2 near Pownal, VT with three GP9's and 56 cars, then the same train near Charlemont, MA (not 100% sure of that location) with a bit of sunshine, then westbound BM-7 working at East Deerfield, taken from the well known "railfan bridge".  That train eventually left with an even 100 cars behind another trio of GP9's.  The view looking east from that bridge was really neat with the yard, tower, signals, and all sorts of other railroady items.

Bob

Date: 09/14/21 09:44
Re: A few Boston & Maine,
Author: bobdavis

Didn't get all of the dust spots off #3 before posting, so here should be a little cleaner version.  Sorry about that.

Bob

Date: 09/14/21 10:41
Author: Dick

Not likely any Maine potatoes on the B&M in 1977.  Most likely a load from the West.
Dick Eisfeller

Date: 09/14/21 10:46
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!

Larry

Date: 09/14/21 10:47
Author: King_Coal

Very nice selections. Neat scenes.

B&M seemed to really be struggling by that time. I can remember riding the  Amtrak Montrealer up the Connecticut River line. It was a very slow trip. Highlight was seeing a set of B&M units at White River Jct at sunrise, very similar to those in your photos.

Date: 09/14/21 11:47
Author: jgilmore

Terrific series with beautiful New England scenes...

JG

Date: 09/14/21 11:58
Author: refarkas

Well done - Great B&M in the autumn photos.
Bob

Date: 09/14/21 16:49
Author: krm152

That is certainly an excellent series.  They are all winners.
ALLEN

Date: 09/14/21 18:04
Author: RuleG

bobdavis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't get all of the dust spots off #3 before
> posting, so here should be a little cleaner
> version.  Sorry about that.
>
> Bob

These are wonderful photos!  No apology is needed.  As not much Boston & Maine is posted on Trainorders, your images are very much appreciated.

Date: 09/14/21 18:47
Author: DavidP

In 1977, the GP9 fleet was showing the effects of age and differed maintenance, as the B&M had been in receivership for five years.  However, help was on the way in the form of eighteen GP40-2s.  The road's financial position had improved enough to allow it to stay out of Conrail, and was yielding sufficient cash flow to permit rebuilding of the GP9s.  A few years later, the road would emerge from bankruptcy and was acquired by Timothy Mellon's Guilford Transportation Industries.  Sadly, the recovery would fizzle in the eighties, and the condition of the B&M would continue to decline.

Dave

Date: 09/14/21 20:41
Author: coach

OK, I just noticed the horns on the GP-9 in the 1st photo.  Two small ones on top, and then a bigger one in the middle of the engine, facing the rear??  Am I seeing this right??  What kind of horns did they have??

Date: 09/15/21 08:37
Author: Conch

I really enjoyed these great fall color views of a road I never saw.  Thanks!

Date: 09/20/21 06:56
Author: pennsy3750

bobdavis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  then the same train near Charlemont,
> MA (not 100% sure of that location)

Charlemont it is, looking down from the Route 2 overpass, near the former Zoar station site.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0614 seconds