Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Nostalgia & History > DL&W RS3 (EL #) need info ...

Date: 09/14/21 10:28
DL&W RS3 (EL #) need info ...
Author: valmont

Here's a shot from my collection ... have no date, location or photographer. Any help? It does remind me of a spot in Buffalo but can't remember what I RR I shot there so that's no help!!

Date: 09/14/21 10:52
Re: DL&W RS3 (EL #) need info ...
Author: thebluecomet

FWIW, I have this shot in my files as Decatur, Indiana with no date.

Date: 09/14/21 11:03
Author: valmont

thebluecomet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FWIW, I have this shot in my files as Decatur,
> Indiana with no date.

Wow!!! Thank you ... I took a chance that someone might recognize it. I learned long ago that TO members can deliver on 'long shots' and you proved that talent is still out there!!

Date: 09/15/21 04:53
Author: 148Fireman

...Looks like the caboose markings could date the picture sometime after merger eith Erie

Date: 09/15/21 06:41
Author: Lackawanna484

1043 was repainted into the marron and gray by 1973

Date: 09/15/21 08:41
Author: Conch

Awesome!   Much of my mom's family lived in and around Decatur and while grandma had the NKP in her backyard, we could see the Erie across the river when the leaves were off the trees.  Mostly diesels, but also one flying EB berk with a bunch of perishable trailing.  Thanks for stirring the memories.

Date: 09/15/21 11:28
Author: wabash2800

I love the gas station/garage near the tracks. When we moved to Indiana for good in the early 1970s, the Erie Lackawanna was the only railroad out here that ran RS3s. The first time I came upon one at Huntington, Indiana, it was like being on the Boston & Maine in Massachusetts again.

Victor

Date: 09/15/21 18:43
Author: MJTodd

There appears to be some vintage of Wig-Wag Electra-mechanical crossing warning device in this photo.
I do not recall seeing them on the EL in the mid west. Was this a one of a kind location?

Date: 09/15/21 21:06
Author: wabash2800

There were more wig wags on the EL in the Midwest. I remember seeing one west of Huntington. I believe the operating one at the Hoosier Valley Museum in North Judson came from the EL.

Victor

MJTodd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There appears to be some vintage of Wig-Wag
> Electra-mechanical crossing warning device in this
> photo.
> I do not recall seeing them on the EL in the mid
> west. Was this a one of a kind location?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/21 00:08 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.032 seconds