Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP 3800 north passing rotary plow Chiloquin Oregon

Date: 09/14/21 10:48
UP 3800 north passing rotary plow Chiloquin Oregon
Author: photobob

I don't remember when I took these but it was pre-digital for me. There was a rotary and a spreader stored there. I have know idea what their story was. I'm just getting around to scanning these negatives. so I haven't idea what I will find.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 09/14/21 10:56
Re: UP 3800 north passing rotary plow Chiloquin Oregon
Author: Spoony81

The Rotary and the Jordan spreader were probably sitting there before they were moved to Train Mountain in Chiloquin Oregon

http://www.trainmountain.org/

Date: 09/14/21 11:38
Author: Railpax71

The train mountain wesbsite lists Rotary SP SPMW #206 and the Jordan Spreader SP SPMW #4047 and the photos on their site match Photobobs.

Date: 09/14/21 11:58
Author: trackplanner

I remember shooting those in Chiloquin in the early '90's before they were moved up the hill to Train Mountain.

Date: 09/14/21 12:17
Author: PasadenaSub

UP 'Flag-Flare' SD70M 3800 was delivered in June of 2004, so after that.  Here's an old post from Bob that mentions the Rotary in the background there in 2005, so maybe around then?

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,942292

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/21 12:21 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 09/14/21 13:37
Author: TCnR

the snow equipment sat there for many years, just one then both. i'm sure the exact dates are in the archives somewhere. train mountain had a great start and then cut back for a while, that was when the equipment sat there. could be in the train mountain info.

Date: 09/14/21 14:09
Author: PasadenaSub

Doing a search in the TO archives, I see that Bob switched to shooting digital in April of 2005 - so if the above UP 3800 pic was taken on film then it would have been between late '04 to early '05 (provided Bob had quit film cold turkey thereafter).

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,911278,page=1

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/21 14:16 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 09/14/21 15:31
Author: photobob

Holy Cow over sixteen years of pixels.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 09/14/21 16:17
Author: ln844south

UP donated the rotary and spreader to Train Mountain back in 2001. TM had to pay UP to move the equipment from Eugene or Oakridge to Chiloquin. TM records show they arrived on the Sept. !!, 2001. A day all should remember.
The equipment was moved to TM in November 2008. I was one of the organizers to arrange the move..
Wanted to also get the Steam Derrick that was in Klamath Falls. It is now in Merrill, OR. One of the ex-Harriman tool cars is in Chiloquin in private ownership. Have no ideal what the fate of the Derick and tool cars future will hold.

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, OR

Date: 09/14/21 16:50
Author: tunmtr

I heard that they sat there until a Highway Bridge in Chiloquin had to be Beef up to take the Weight of the Equipment !? Rod

Date: 09/14/21 17:31

we took it over the old bridge. In fact had to stop on the bridge for about 15 minutes while the mover straighten up the dollies under the rotary. Really load tested the old bridge.
The truck pulling the plow had to cut loose and cross the bridge and winch the plow across to reduce the load on the bridge.
The plow sat in Chiloquin for 7 years because TM was told earlier that the bridge would not hold the weight. 
The House mover who did the move worked with Oregon DOT and got it done.

Steve

Date: 09/14/21 20:38
Author: coach

Those new SD-70M's were great units for the UP.  Looked great.  Sounded great.  Performed great (from what I hear).  And some even came with Captain's chairs for the engineer??

Date: 09/14/21 21:25

We got a bunch of the UP SD70's across  Florida in runthroughs service. They were like souped up SD-40's. Only thing I did not like about them is the computer would cut back amperage if you exceeded short time rating. Several times just about to crest a hill they would cut back and stall. Noticed in Bob's picture the front door is open. Generally indicates the AC is not working properly.

Steve 

Date: 09/15/21 09:19
Author: mapboy

I took a look at Train Mountain on Google Maps and discovered an unbelievable amount of trackage!  https://goo.gl/maps/hSa8xcNMcN22oUtF7  The tracks even pass under Chiloquin Road, double track no less!
https://goo.gl/maps/kQQ9Sfj93JCiUukm9  North Platte Yard would be jealous!

mapboy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds