Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Nostalgia & History > You Don't See Much of These Anymore

Date: 09/15/21 08:24
You Don't See Much of These Anymore
Author: CNW8531

This is the last Sperry car that I've seen anywhere, and it was taken over twenty years ago.  I guess they've been replaced by newer and more modern equiptment.  Time marches on they say.  Still, these old Sperry cars had a look to them that I miss.  Use to see them from time to time back in the sixties and seventies.  I don't know if there are any left in service or not.  All of the inspection and rail detection vehicles today seem to be of the truck type with hi-rail capacity.  Are they more functional?  Probably.  But do they look neat?   NO!  Photo taken on the C&EI at Chicago Heights, Illinois on 10/12/00.

Date: 09/15/21 09:48
Re: You Don't See Much of These Anymore
Author: choodude

Amtrak's Northeast Corridor, Metro North and Long Island Railroad use them. They usually test at night, so pictures are hard to come by.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,5001519,5001519#msg-5001519

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,5218607,5218607#msg-5218607

Brian

Date: 09/15/21 10:01
Author: pbrasky

SRS #131 was in Kingston's (N.Y.) North Yard on Sunday and most likely left that evening (south).  Unfortunately it wasn't as clean as the one in your photo.

Date: 09/15/21 19:03
Author: railstiesballast

For many years the Sperry cars had bunks for the crew to sleep in overnight.
FRA regulations on where employees could sleep at terminals and alongside the RR changed that.
Hy Rail trucks run by Sperry and others (Herzog, e.g.) simply drive to a motel and solve that problem.

Date: 09/16/21 12:49
Author: wmfan3798

There was one quite frequently on the NS Pittsburgh line (can't remember the number) but about a month ago it was headed east down the mountain and ran into a set of stopped helpers. My understanding is that it's being repaired now and has been replaced by another car.

ernie

Date: 09/16/21 12:52
Author: wmfan3798

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds