Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Nostalgia & History > Thirties for Thursday

Date: 09/16/21 06:22
Thirties for Thursday
Author: swaool

Penn Central C630 6327 and at least one sister were at DT&I's Flat Rock (MI) yard in April 1973.  Not sure if they were leased, borrowed, came in on a transfer run, or what.  This was around the same time DT&I had leased some LS&I power, but that's another story.

msw
spokane

Date: 09/16/21 07:40
Re: Thirties for Thursday
Author: CNW8531

Nice looking Alco's!  I love those big Centuries.  If only Alco would have survived.  Think what their power would look like today.  Given time I think they might  have worked out the bugs that made their products unreliable.  And maybe we'd have some variety from all those GE Dash whatever's that are everywhere.  If only...

Date: 09/16/21 10:59
Author: jgilmore

Nice one, just think: I lived right around the corner back then, but I was only a little boy!

JG

Date: 09/16/21 11:36
Author: ns2557

Nice shot. Sure liked those PC ALCO's. If ya look hard enough on the rear of this set it appears to be another ALCO. That round roof is what makes me think so. Can just make it out.  Ben

Date: 09/16/21 12:22
Author: LV95032

If they were unreliable it was because of lack of proper support by the owner and the builder. The machines were good locomotives and the fact that more Centuries continue to operate while nearly zero U boats attests to that. Alco didn't have the financial backing or size of either General Motors or General Electric.

RWJ

CNW8531 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice looking Alco's!  I love those big Centuries.
>  If only Alco would have survived.  Think what
> their power would look like today.  Given time I
> think they might  have worked out the bugs that
> made their products unreliable.  And maybe we'd
> have some variety from all those GE Dash
> whatever's that are everywhere.  If only...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds