Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tower Tuesday

Date: 11/30/21 10:03
Tower Tuesday
Author: ns2557

I am at the now CR ex RDG Rutherford Yard near Harrisburg Pa. At the south end/west end of the yard sat R Tower. It controlled moves into and out of the yard here. On Nov 19 1978 I found a set of Chessie Units backing down onto a train passing the tower. Chessie Sys GP38 3847 and B&O GP38 3818 slowly make their way back against the train. Looks like a crew is getting some paperwork as they congregate in the doorway and on the steps. In looking at the shot now, I noticed something that I didn't see til now. On the ground outside is a pile of coal, and leaning up against the tower itself is a shovel. Guess they still burnt coal to heat this one.  Second shot shows a CR U33C, 6545 with the engineer perhaps leaning out of the cab and looking behind as the 2 Chessie Units make a quick stop before making the joint.  Rutherford Yard still is around today, but nothing like what's to be seen here. NS built an Intermodal Yard here and a new building also, which I hope isn't using coal to heat.  Thanks for looking, be well everyone.  Ben

Date: 11/30/21 10:06
Re: Tower Tuesday
Author: jgilmore

Interesting scene in #1, not your typical tower as it looks quite substantial...

JG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds