Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Nostalgia & History > FW&D By John Pouch

Date: 11/30/21 15:44
FW&D By John Pouch
Author: RJM29

I met John Pouch at Holloman AFB, NM while I was going to High School there in 1973. He was a Captain in the Air Force, flying F-4Ds as  a backseater with the 49th TFW,. My Dad, a Major in the same squadron (8th TFS) had flown in Vietnam with John and noticed he was reading a copy of "Model Railroader" magazine between missions. My Dad recommended we meet and we immediately hit it off, even if he was at least 12 years older than me. John was an avid railroad photographer from New Jersey and he quickly became my wheels to drive around New Mexico to shoot trains. I also became a reliable baby sitter for his two kids in the deal. I went to the Universtiy of Missouri in 1974 and we traded slides for several years afterward. John left the Air Force at some point and moved to California, where we hooked up later. He passed on suddenly about 2010 and his son, the one I baby sat, is now in contact with me. John was a neat guy; and the memories of him remain strong.

1. FW&D GP7 700, ex GN, Plainview TX 23 Mar 1974
2. FW&D GP7 702, ex GN, Amarillo TX April 1976
3. FW&D SD7 851, Plainview TX 23 Mar 1974.

Rick Morgan

Date: 11/30/21 16:41
Re: FW&D By John Pouch
Author: jgilmore

Nice bunch from a rarely-seen area...

JG

Posted from Android

Date: 11/30/21 22:53
Author: GP25

I like the little camper. parked right next to the Unit.
In the first photo

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 12/01/21 05:50
Author: thebluecomet

I ran into John back in 1977 during a trip through the south and Texas.  We traded slides for quite a while after that meeting.  I have several images from Hill AFB and a bunch of Santa Fe's that he sent me.  Sorry to hear of his passing.

Date: 12/01/21 10:40
Author: PHall

GP25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the little camper. parked right next to the
> Unit.
> In the first photo

Crew quarters for the lay over!       ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/21 10:41 by PHall.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0813 seconds