Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Nostalgia & History > Loading cattle on the Missouri Pacific

Date: 01/06/22 06:48
Loading cattle on the Missouri Pacific
Author: gcm

June 1968
My dad and I had come down from Ohio to Marlin,Tx to visit family members (my dad grew up in the area).
My uncle mentioned that a local rancher (the tall guy seen in the film) was shipping cattle out by rail the next day and he was helping out.
This was at the cattle pens on the south side of Marlin on the Missouri Pacific.
I was quite excited to see this - the only time I ever saw cattle loaded on to cattle cars.
I had brought my trusty 8mm camera along to record the events (certainly not the best footage but it was fun).
One shot shows the "wranglers" waiting at the end of the loading chute for the MP to move some cars in. An MP engine (think it was a GP7) moves in the background.
Finally I got some footage of the loading process, also closing and locking the car after it was full.
Unfortunately that was in the shade.
Looks like MP and Santa Fe cattle cars were used.
After the railroad stopped shipping cattle this pen was used for years after with just trucks.

Gary

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/06/22 06:59
Re: Loading cattle on the Missouri Pacific

Posted before but will give an idea where the pens were.
About 10 years after the cattle loading scenes, this is looking north on the MP old I&GN route.
The line used to go straight but new construction to the right was built to connect to the old SP Waco line in town which the MP had purchased.
Their old route north was abandoned except for the short stretch of track seen - mainly to serve the cattle pens which are just to the right and north of the new trackage.

Gary

Date: 01/06/22 07:39
Author: tomstp

At this time cattle loading was just about at an end..  Thanks for posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/22 07:41 by tomstp.

Date: 01/06/22 07:41
Author: Conch

Wonderful video of a subject living out it's final days of rail history. It's difficult to understate the importance of the rails/ ranching relationship over the decades. By the time most of us became aware of livestock shipments, it was almost a thing of the past.  Thanks for the movies!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/22 07:42 by Conch.

Date: 01/06/22 09:30
Author: zoohogger

That is a great piece of history there. Many things to take in. The wranglers and all the men it takes to get loaded. Really cool stuff.  Thanks.

I did see something similar recently when I boarded a flight to Portland. Group 1 usually gets the cattle prod.

Rick Z

Date: 01/06/22 11:25
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing this rare footage.

Victor

Date: 01/06/22 12:52
Author: Frisco1522

Somewhere a PETA head exploded.    A daily occurrence "back in the day".  Like anything else of any interest, all gone.  Its all crap now.

Date: 01/06/22 14:22
Author: texchief1

Thanks for posting the video, Gary!

RC Lundgren

Date: 01/06/22 14:36
Author: krm152

That video is certainly an awesome historic rarity.
Thanks for the wonderful posting.
ALLEN

Date: 01/06/22 15:11
Author: Roadmaster

That's really neat that you filmed this, Gary! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Matthew Dittert

Date: 01/06/22 17:20
Author: tferk

I will pile on also....thank for posting.  Excellent history!

Ted Ferkenhoff
Flagstaff, AZ

Date: 01/06/22 18:00

Thanks!
Gary

Date: 01/06/22 19:05
Author: ironmtn

A really fine slice of history.  I could be wrong, but I don't think that there are very many publicly available motion picture film clips like this of actual cattle loading operations out at at the ranch end. Such scenes have been staged or re-enacted, and have appeared in commercial motion pictures, like George Stevens' famed Texas epic, Giant, starring Rock Hudson, James Dean and Elizabeth Taylor.

But I am guessing from a quick internet search that film of actual historical loading operations is not particularly common. There are many still images of loading operations, and plenty of motion picture film as well as stills at the unloading end at various stockyards, and movement of the animals through the yards and into the packing plants. But there doesn't seem to be much of the loading process out in rural areas before the stock was shipped by rail to one of the big stockyards, like at Fort Worth. Here's a fine film about the Fort Worth yards and their history that I came across. https://texasarchive.org/2015_02887

The footage and interviews about the actual trading operations at the Fort Worth yards in the era of your film begins at about the 30 minute mark, and is particularly interesting. And of course there's reference to the stock raising operations out on the ranches, and shipment to Fort Worth, but no footage of actual loading out in rural areas. That mirrors what I can recall from similar historical programs I've seen about other stockyards such as Chicago, Kansas City and National City, Illinois (East St. Louis).

I hope that you will see to the preservation of this film, and at some point consider reviewing it with an historical society or historical library, even a major state institution. I think it may be worthy of addition to the collections of such an institution.

As others have said, there is so much to see here of what had been for so long a routine, yet very important part of the nation's economic and social structure. All gone in the sands of time. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

MC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/22 19:07 by ironmtn.

Date: 01/06/22 20:54
Author: brc600

I personally saw, with my father and brothers,  the MP ship 20-30 cars of livestock from Springfield, NE 1970-ish. They were ALL MP family cars (IGN, T&P, MP).

zoohogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is a great piece of history there. Many
> things to take in. The wranglers and all the men
> it takes to get loaded. Really cool stuff. 
> Thanks.
>
> I did see something similar recently when I
> boarded a flight to Portland. Group 1 usually gets
> the cattle prod.
>
> Rick Z

Date: 01/06/22 21:20
Author: P

Not sure I've seen such video before. What a treasure. Last summer in Eastern Arizona, I saw some locals using a pen to corral some livestock but certainly no railroad involvement. This was in the White Mountains and not sure if they were Indians or not, but with them riding their own horses, the cowboy hats, etc, it sure was a flash of the past.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/07/22 10:12
Author: cjvrr

Great stuff.  I especially liked seeing how the workers perched themselves on the wooden fences and posts as the cattle was being loaded into the cars.

Date: 01/10/22 16:14
Author: Drknow

My dad got in on loading a few cars of livestock; don’t know if it was Cattle, hogs or sheep, in the 1970-73 time frame. This was in Iowa on the IC Iowa division.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds