Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Nostalgia & History > Ansco Horrors - A DRGW F Unit scene

Date: 01/14/22 12:48
Ansco Horrors - A DRGW F Unit scene
Author: SlideSellerII

This slide was part of a collection I bought out of Kansas and shows the horror of old Anscochrome Slides. Fungus loves to eat the emilsion fading the image away over time. I can't even save this image in PS as the slide looks cracked but its actually fungus. Its too bad that this image of a DRGW F unit A-B-A set will be faded away within my lifetime.

Date: 01/14/22 13:41
Re: Ansco Horrors - A DRGW F Unit scene
Author: Conch

I feel your pain! I have Anscos from Alaska and other places that have even worse damage.   Fortunately I only purchased one roll myself, but those grainy, dull images convinced me it wasn't worth it.  Too bad about your Grande image, looks like a nice view on the Royal Gorge line.  The attached is from the Curly Q RR east of Nome  Alaska around 1953

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/22 13:47 by Conch.

Date: 01/14/22 14:59
Author: masterphots

Surprise the Rio Grande slide still has color;   most Ansco I've seen quickly looked like Conch's.   Thankfully my Dad told me to never shoot anything except Kodachome and processed only by Kodak.  I followed his advice and I have slides I took in 1955 that look as good as the day I took them out of the yellow box.  They've always been stored in cool to moderate dry climates which also helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/22 07:54 by masterphots.

Date: 01/14/22 15:03
Author: refarkas

Can the fungus be transferred to other slides?
Bob

Date: 01/14/22 15:33
Author: Conch

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can the fungus be transferred to other slides?
> Bob

Can't really say since I keep the few that I have in sleeves.  Kodak films have also had issues but I don't recall any looking  like these Ansco's.

Date: 01/14/22 17:30
Author: SlideSellerII

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can the fungus be transferred to other slides?
> Bob

Potentially, depending on how they are stored. Fungus gives off spores that can be airborne in the right conditions. Best is to keep slides in a dry, low 70 degree envroment.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds