Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Nostalgia & History > D&RGW freight on the West Slope ... but where?

Date: 01/15/22 06:52
D&RGW freight on the West Slope ... but where?
Author: valmont

Here's a shot that I took in western CO ... but I need help pinpointing the location ... lead unit is #3114.

Date: 01/15/22 07:18
Re: D&RGW freight on the West Slope ... but where?
Author: Conch

Looks like he`s approaching Debeque headed for GJ.  Judging by the cement hoppers behind the power I'd say this was #177 out of Pueblo.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/22 10:06 by Conch.

Date: 01/15/22 08:14
Author: KA7008

Nice one, thank you for sharing.
I think I count 8 units!

Date: 01/15/22 08:49
Author: tomstp

And, they look clean too !

Date: 01/15/22 11:06
Author: cozephyr

Did you get a closer image-?

Believe you're near DeBeque, CO.

valmont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a shot that I took in western CO ... but I
> need help pinpointing the location ... lead unit
> is #3114.

Date: 01/15/22 15:30
Author: valmont

No didn't get a closer shot, and Chuck (conch) also mentioned the same location in his post 

Date: 01/15/22 16:50
Author: TCnR

That's an interesting area for dramatic backgrounds, I did spend a couple of road trips and some kodachrome in that area so I went into google maps trying to find the location. I drove past here but don't remember this area. Using the unique center peak, the ridge to the left and the lower ridge line to the center left it appears to be Parachute Colorado near where Rd 215 overpass is now. Quite a bit of change. This is a Google screenshot and then I cropped it a bit to relate to the background, of course it rained on Google that day.

Looking at the map a little closer there's double track or a siding there now, but also a wye, some set out tracks and a tail track that goes up into the hillside, not sure what that's all about. The curve puts a little further down the track but the map shows the curve better than the screenshot location. Here's the raw coordinates for the overpass.

39.455295678690455, -108.04667823071284

+ more Google shows this to be now called Parachute-Battlement Mesa for the large mountains / Mesa to the south. Lots of fnacy looking Ranchettes and 'Lots available'. Looks like Golfing country to me.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/22 17:16 by TCnR.

Date: 01/15/22 21:40

You may be correct.  I checked my DeBeque image (attached) and while similar, it's not the same place. I'll look for a view like that from the Grand  Valley bridge and will post it here.  Your view was 12 miles east of this one

Date: 01/16/22 13:00

TCnR is correct.   This is Grand Valley siding and the mountain to the left of the power (Anvil Pointe?) is the one in Vince's picture. By doing a 'virtual drive'  on google maps showed it on the left of the siding.    Vince's  shot must be past the west end of the siding.   Was I-70 in at that point?  Doesn't look like it.  Anyway, congrats TCnR for solving another mystery.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/22 13:15 by Conch.

Date: 01/16/22 23:26
Author: TCnR

Great stuff, the great outdoors.
I haven't touched my D&RGW photos in a long time, I'll have to go dig them out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds