Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Nostalgia & History > Little switchers and big mountains

Date: 01/15/22 14:58
Little switchers and big mountains
Author: valmont

A pair of Great Western switchers are shoving a string of beet hoppers up to the Great Western Sugar plant in Longmont CO. I took this shot on 12/6/69 ... the sugar plant was behind me and the 2 big mountains are Longs Peak (a 'fourteener') and Mt Meeker (not quite). 

The sugar plant is an abamdoned hulk, the switchers are gone ... the mountains are still there ; ^ )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/22 14:59 by valmont.

Date: 01/15/22 15:11
Re: Little switchers and big mountains
Author: ironmtn

Interesting image, thanks. Boy, how different Longmont looked then. But that's true for just about every town along the Front Range.

MC

Date: 01/15/22 15:28
Author: callum_out

The Front Range is getting LA like, you look at a sixties or early seventies shot and go "Where?"  I went to
the Narrow Gauge Convention in 2018 and visited a buddies layout  friend went to the NMRA last yeat. I
gave him instructions about crossing the railroad in Windsor and heading North and he calls and says "What
railroad?" Ah progress!

Out 

Date: 01/15/22 15:37
Author: train1275

Beautiful shot of the GW and Longs Peak back when the Front Range was nice. Brings back many good memories.

Date: 01/15/22 19:19
Author: Conch

Thanks for capturing and sharing this gem!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds