Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP steam needs 1940s era location help

Date: 01/21/22 07:41
UP steam needs 1940s era location help
Author: santafe199

This is one of those “zero-information” images that just seem to show up in one’s collection. I have no memory whatsoever of downloading it. But even though it’s not very sharp, I’m sure the impressive plume of black smoke is what caught my eye! The original file size was 1275, so it’s a cinch I didn’t download it from TO with the size 1000 limit. I made a decent run through Photoshop with this image, and can only guess it was taken in the 1940s. My first instinct is to say it was taken in Wyoming, but I’ll leave that to somebody who hopefully knows the Overland Route a lot better than I do...

1. UP 4-8-4 #835 leads an eastbound(?) extra train at or near Bosler, WY*. An extra mail train, perhaps? Date estimation: Early 1950s. Location help will be gratefully accepted.
Photographer is unknown. Image in my collection from an unknown source.

TIA for any location/photo credit help!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

*see the helpful replies below :^)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/23 01:13 by santafe199.

Date: 01/21/22 08:08
Re: UP steam needs 1940s era location help
Author: Conch

Not sure where this might be but the fence line on the lower left seems awfully close to the tracks to be on the Overland Route.  Just a thought.  As you say, a nice smoky view.

Date: 01/21/22 08:37
Author: HotWater

It appears that this 4-8-4 has been up-graded with the Worthington Type S Feedwater System, thus making this early to mid 1950s, if I remember correctly.

Date: 01/21/22 09:05
Author: dan

Bosler

Date: 01/21/22 09:58

HotWater Wrote: > ... It appears ... Worthington Type S Feedwater System ... making this early to mid 1950s ...
Thanks Jack! That will help pin down a reliable date...

dan Wrote: > ...  Bosler ...
Having been to/through Bosler (WY) a couple of times I took a peek at the area in Google Maps. Right off the bat I landed at the Howell Rd crossing and a few things seemed to match right up, especially that low fence on the left. Even though it's been around 7 decades fences like that will sometimes not change much over the eons. And if this is indeed Bosler, that would confirm the train being eastbound...

Lance/199

Date: 01/21/22 10:25
Author: Bob3985

That is indeed a mail train. Storage mail baggage cars and express boxcars make up the consist.
Usually the mail trains carried a rider coach on the rear for passengers who are traveling to locations where there would be a stop for crew changes.
And it appears to have one on this train.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/22 10:26 by Bob3985.

Date: 01/21/22 19:09
Author: Tominde

I wouldn't be surprised if that smoke is still lingering in the air today.

Date: 01/21/22 19:47
Author: DavidP

Is the fourth car looks like a horse car, perhaps being used in mail service?

Dave

Date: 01/21/22 20:04
Author: SD45X

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't be surprised if that smoke is still
> lingering in the air today.

Nah, the wind blows everything away immediately in WY.

Date: 01/21/22 20:37
Author: BCHellman

Wonder why it is running as an extra and not as a scheduled train? 

Date: 01/21/22 23:56
Author: dan

could be l12 hours late or something?  or be an extra?

Date: 01/22/22 08:02
Author: ntharalson

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is indeed a mail train. Storage mail baggage
> cars and express boxcars make up the consist.
> Usually the mail trains carried a rider coach on
> the rear for passengers who are traveling to
> locations where there would be a stop for crew
> changes.
> And it appears to have one on this train.

I would agree, except, there's no RPO on the train.  This makes me think this is why it's an extra, probably loaded with parcel post.  In this case, the rider coach was probably for the crew.  Good shot, Lance, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA
>  

Date: 01/22/22 08:13

ntharalson Wrote: > ... there's no RPO on the train ...

Even with that in mind, this image reminds me of Santa Fe's "Fast Mail" right off the bat. I would love to have seen mail trains like this in person. I can vaguely remember my mother's 2nd uncle ("once removed???) working for REA (I think) here in my hometown of Manhattan, KS. His job was to meet UP passenger trains down at the local depot with a van and transer whatever express & cargo business there might be. When the mail contract expired in '67 I remember the local newspaper -Manhattan Mercury- ran a photo of him with the caption "45-year job ends tonight"...

Lance/199

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds