Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Original Auto Train

Date: 05/18/22 12:29
The Original Auto Train
Author: MartyBernard

U36Bs 4002 and 4004 built Nov. 1971 with the Auto Train northbound north of Ashland, VA on March 25, 1972. Note their auto racks are first in the train. Amtrak puts the passenger cars first.

Date: 05/18/22 12:37
Re: The Original Auto Train
Author: refarkas

She certainly is impressive in this full-train view.
Bob

Date: 05/18/22 13:26
Author: PasadenaSub

Yes, very nice picture of the impressive train.

Rich

Date: 05/18/22 14:47
Author: bandob

Anybody know the fates of the domes?

Date: 05/18/22 14:50
Author: PHall

Wonder how bad the slack action in the passenger cars was riding behind the autocarriers?

Date: 05/18/22 15:16
Author: Topfuel

bandob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anybody know the fates of the domes?

All the Auto-Train passenger cars were scattered to the winds at the big auction in 1981, but most have survived in one form or another.  Most ex-UP domes and ex-Santa Fe big domes that are floating around today are ex Auto-Train.

Date: 05/18/22 15:52
Author: BCHellman

Any reason it's running against the current?

Date: 05/18/22 19:34
Author: CPR_4000

What's up with the long block of UP sleepers? Just not repainted yet?

Date: 05/19/22 02:28
Author: mp51w

That's an impressive train!  7 ex-ATSF Big domes!

Date: 05/19/22 06:42
Author: fritzrr

At least one of the full length domes was on the Napa Wine train when I rode it several years ago, another is on the Western Maryland scenic in  gaudy red and white faux WM paint.

Fritz in MD

Date: 05/19/22 07:23
Author: ntharalson

The slack action comment is spot on.  After a while, I'm not sure if it was before or after the Amtrak takeover, the passneger cars were moved to the front of the train and the auto carriers to the rear
to eliminate the slack action.  Nice photos,Marty, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/22 19:33 by ntharalson.

Date: 05/19/22 07:33
Author: Notch7

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder how bad the slack action in the passenger
> cars was riding behind the autocarriers?
One of the firemen  who worked the original Auto-Train in the early car carriers head out configuration told me the slack action could be bad.  He told me that the car carriers did not have tight lock couplers.  Like most car carriers, they may have had some type of end of car cushioning.  That adds to slack action.  Slack is twofold - free slack and spring slack.  He told me that the Auto Train U36B's did not have varied transition voltages. If the engines make transition at the exact same time that can bump slack in a train because the engines momentarially unload during transition.  Some railroads varied the voltages that trigger transition to avoid this. The fireman told me slack action on the early Auto Train caused people to fall and knocked mounted TV sets off walls.  I heard the Auto Train U36B's later received load rheostats to soften the train starts.  I put a bid in to work a  fireman job on the original Auto Train, but was outbid by more senior guys.  Originally the fireman rode in the boiler car on the rear of the train.  It sounded like an adventure to me back then.

Date: 05/19/22 08:29
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, Marty!

RC Lundgren

Date: 05/19/22 11:42
Author: tq-07fan

I don't know if I have ever seen a full train view of the original Auto Train. Nice shot Marty!

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds