Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Nostalgia & History > ID for logging RR near Castle Crags?

Date: 06/23/22 13:54
ID for logging RR near Castle Crags?
Author: NBF

I walked along this right of way on the west end of Castle Crags and wondered about its history - there's a rather large boulder here that likely wasn't there while the trains were operating.

Date: 06/23/22 14:14
Re: ID for logging RR near Castle Crags?
Author: swaool

Signor's Mt. Shasta book discusses the Red Cross Lumber Company which had a standard gauge line connecting with SP at Castle Crag.  This line was removed after a fire destroyed the mille at Castle Crag in 1900.  There was also a 36" gauge line that ran up Castle Creek above Castella built by the M. A. Burns Lumber Company in 1910, and later operated as the Castle Crag Lumber Company.  Operations ended in 1929 and the track was removed in 1936.

mike woodruff
spokane

Date: 06/24/22 00:11
Author: coach

There are other lines up there, too, to walk, including some downstream, and I believe some wooden bridges remain, way back in.  The stuff I've seen in the books looks amazing, given all the grades they built.  Would be fun to explore them all.

But look at all those tiny, scrawny, useless trees---totally useless (from a lumber point of view).  Eliminate about half of them so the remaining ones don't have to compete so much for water, nutirents and sunlight, and youi'd have a real forest again of large trees.

Date: 06/24/22 08:01
Author: NBF

> But look at all those tiny, scrawny, useless trees---totally useless (from a lumber point of view)

Fortunately, for most of us, lumber isn't the only "point of view" available...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds