Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Nostalgia & History > Digitus Scannus Interruptus (vol 4): Vintage on vintage!

Date: 09/23/22 07:31
Digitus Scannus Interruptus (vol 4): Vintage on vintage!
Author: santafe199

I swear my Epson scanner is equipped with a vision activated, emergency brake application system, much like those which are becoming standard on most new vehicles nowadays. Whenever it pops out a really cool image scan, I can almost hear the screeching of digital tires on the software pavement...

UP 1360 is ‘lead actor’ is this highly vintage scene. And tucked in behind it are a pair of unknown Santa Fe FTs. But the real star of this show is that equally unknown Santa Fe steam double-header boiling forward, fixing to steal the scene. I’m sorry I can’t supply the wheel arrangements involved. I’ll leave that guesswork up to the experts! Or maybe Evan will employ his magnificent cross-referencing system and find this image is in a book somewhere... :^)

But there is another problem. This 3rd or 4th generation copy slide has a full date with only a partial location attached. Considering the combination of UP & Santa Fe power, I’ve got a strong hunch “Highland Jct” is somewhere in California*. But I’ll wait for an expert to nail down the exact location.

1. UP 1360 poses with a few friends on July 11, 1950. This is Highland Jct in San Bernardino, CA*.
Chard Walker copy slide from the collection of the late James W. Watson.

Thanks for looking back & forth!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

*Info from replies below:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/23 04:13 by santafe199.

Date: 09/23/22 07:46
Re: Digitus Scannus Interruptus (vol 4): Vintage on vintage!
Author: valmont

That's just unfair!!!  ; ^ )

Date: 09/23/22 07:51
Author: nedzarp

In San Bernardino, Ca.

Date: 09/23/22 07:59
Author: santafe199

nedzarp Wrote: > ... San Bernardino ...

Thank you very much! It's not very often that my "by guess & by golly" effort scores a hit! For the state, anyhow... :^)

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/22 08:12 by santafe199.

Date: 09/23/22 08:41
Author: refarkas

As much as I like this gem for the steam, the two FM's are the somewhat rare FM H20-44 road switchers. Considering how few H20-44's were produced, you might question my "somewhat rare" comment. One of my home railroads the Akron Canton and Youngstown had several, so I was more used to seeing H20-44's than most railfans were.

Date: 09/23/22 08:44
Author: UP3806

Love the marker lights on the 1360. They and the SF Fs maybe helpers coming down Cajon? Steamers obviously going uphill.

Tom

Date: 09/23/22 08:47
Author: jtwlunch

The 2 FM's and FT's are helper sets, would be interesting to know the freight engines and train detail.  Great picture of railroad history during the "transition".

Date: 09/23/22 08:48
Author: UP3806

1360 was built in 1947 as the first H20-44 demonstrator. UP had 11 of this model. 1360 retired in 1964.

Tom

Date: 09/23/22 09:12
Author: Bob3985

The UP FM's were likely in helper service on Cajon and waiting for another shove.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/23/22 09:18
Author: PasadenaSub

Wow, great photo!  Assuming that is the Santa Fe doubletrack mainline between San Bernardino and Cajon Pass (along Cajon Blvd) - it's amazing how much beefier the track structure is nowadays.  But then Santa Fe were experts at fine-tuning the jointed rail for a smooth ride in the pre-welded rail days.

Rich

Date: 09/23/22 10:17
Author: Ritzville

Very enjoyable look back!

Larry

Date: 09/23/22 10:34
Author: Notch7

Such a great shot - full of action and details.  Right off I noticed that big headlight on top of the FT b-unit.

Date: 09/23/22 11:16
Author: PHall

And it's pretty much guaranteed that the lead steam locomotive in the picture is a 2-10-2. They were pretty much the standard steam helper power over Cajon. 

Date: 09/24/22 00:54
Author: needles_sub

Chard Walker photo, Look on the roof of 1360, you will see the dynamic brake grids the UP installed on the FM's. They installed dynamic brakes on the TR-5's also in a attempt to save wear on the brake shoes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds