Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Nostalgia & History > Digitus Scannus Interruptus (vol 6): C of StL at night!

Date: 10/05/22 12:27
Digitus Scannus Interruptus (vol 6): C of StL at night!
Author: santafe199

My late friend Art Gibson, aka WAG Jr recorded some pretty interesting scenes during his many years behind the camera. He had a knack of going after some significant and even historic action over and above the usual railfan “stuff’. When the occasion arose, Art would even dust off his tripod and put it to work. This wasn’t very often, but when he did the result was usually a doozy! Check out this link: ( WAG Wednesday: #16 at Wichita! (trainorders.com) ).

I started taking ‘night shots’ in early 1977. To date my night shot accumulation has to be in the low thousands. But where I have the quantity, Art definitely had the quality! In scanning some old 8x10 prints from the Gibson Collection I ran across this night shot by WAG Jr. Between the father ~ son Gibsons, and all of their contemporaries I’ve seen a gazillion passenger train shots at the UP depot in Topeka. I’ve seen & shot plenty of night time stuff across the river at the Santa Fe depot. But this is the only passenger train night shot I can recall seeing at the UP depot in Topeka. Naturally, my latest digital scanning session came to a screeching halt. Working through lunch I dove right into Photoshop with this scan. And here it is.

So now... what’s for lunch?

1. UP passenger platform scene at Topeka, KS circa 1965. This is westbound train #9, the “City of St Louis” during its station stop. The engine consist is evidently cut off to pick up or set out a head end car...
BW 8x10 print by the late William A. -Art- Gibson (WAG) Jr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Jim Wilson (jtwlunch)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/23 02:55 by santafe199.

Date: 10/05/22 12:57
Re: Digitus Scannus Interruptus (vol 5): C of StL at night!
Author: monaddave

santafe199 Wrote:
<< So now... what’s for lunch?>>

Better treat yourself to a Vista Burger and limeade.

Oh and thanks for posting this WAG Junior night photo.
Dave in MT

Date: 10/05/22 13:02
Author: santafe199

I've had plenty of Vistaburgers in my lifetime! But never once have I had a limeade. Lemonade, sure. but never lime. I think I'll just stick with the standard chocolate shake...

:^p

Date: 10/05/22 16:26
Author: texchief1

Nice one, Lance!

RC Lundgren

Date: 10/05/22 17:35
Re: Digitus Scannus Interruptus (vol 6): C of StL at night!
Author: Notch7

Good night shot of a good subject

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds