Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Nostalgia & History > A few more to remind us when we were young[and crazy]

Date: 01/24/23 03:12
A few more to remind us when we were young[and crazy]
Author: Roadjob

Well we have had a lot of rain in Maryland this January, and as a old guy on the backside of 72, I prefer it to the white death that people around here seem to feel snow is. But, back in the glory days of railfanning, it was opportunity personified in getting out, and adding that element to a day of train watching and photography. Looking back on some of these adventures through the wisdom of age, I think I was a few bricks short of a load at times. I got stuck more times than I can count, slipped down hills, and I mean all the way down hills!! I broke two cameras falling on ice, and I spent lord knows how many extra hours of driving in weather that did not need people driving to begin with. That was then, so, from the comfort of my office, and, the ability to go around the Horseshoe Curve on Virtual Railfan, I give you a few more of why they call this winter.

top...westbound climbing Sand Patch. This was fun??

middle...eastbound at Lilly Pa

bottom...westbound leaving Cumberland

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 03:20 by Roadjob.

Date: 01/24/23 03:15
Re: A few more to remind us when we were young[and crazy]

top...Sometimes it was just a way to make a scene look peaceful. Southbound on Penn Division at Lanesboro Pa.

middle...South Fork Pa.

bottom...westbound at Owego NY.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 01/24/23 03:19

top...East Binghamton NY

middle...best way to enjoy photographing trains. Sand Patch

bottom...Eastbound coming into Altoona. It was soon to get a lot worse!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 01/24/23 04:35
Author: 3rdswitch

What's crazy is how many great shots you have! Another fine bunch.
JB

Date: 01/24/23 04:56
Author: santafe199

Roadjob Wrote: > ... "Looking back on some of these adventures through the wisdom of age..."

That line sums it up perfectly! I can remember days of excitement, going out to shoot in that cold stuff. I would even take my tripod down to the roundhouse in the dead of a winter night and try to frostbite my index finger 30 seconds at a time on the shutter release button...

Nowadays I just put a thick pair of socks on and hide out in my dungeon... ;^)

Lance

Date: 01/24/23 06:08
Author: Gonut1

Funny, we used to go out and drift bust on back country roads until we got stuck. Get out the snow shovels, dig out and doit again. One time even got into a ford through an icy creek and couldn't get up either bank to get out. One of the nutballs got out in the icy water and pushed until the car got enough grip to climb out of there. He had some cold wet feet!
And we weren't even trying to photograph anything!
Thanks for a super post of something I'd never try in today's traffic. Its one thing to fly solo in snow but with a bunch of idiots in SUVs, never!
Gonut

Date: 01/24/23 06:36
Author: ClubCar

Thanks once again Bill for these great photos.  Please continue to put them on here for all of us to reminisce and enjoy, especially those B&O photos like the one in Cumberland, Maryland.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/24/23 06:48
Author: atsf121

Crazy is absolutely right for that first photo, wow!

Date: 01/24/23 09:21
Author: Ritzville

The fun stuff of being young, great Winter scenes! Now in my mid-70's, I would pass on the Winter elements to my back door on the covered patio.

Larry

Date: 01/24/23 17:20
Author: EL833

My kind of weather Bill ! I still try to get out in the snow, but like many I have to watch my step these days. I remember us hanging around a snowy Cresson only a couple years ago, so at least you try to re-live your youth lol. Great photos as always!
PS : sunny and 55 here in Georgia today, so no snow for me....

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 01/25/23 05:49
Author: rrpreservation

Great stuff!!! Thamks for sharing your photos :)

Date: 01/25/23 20:03
Author: wmbrakeman

oh you can see the old train station roof in cumberland photo , sad they let it decay , and did not save it , lot of memories with grand father take me there in late 50s  60 

all great photo , and all efforts you went through thank you 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds