Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Nostalgia & History > Timetable Tuesday: Schedules on the train

Date: 01/24/23 05:33
Timetable Tuesday: Schedules on the train
Author: bandob

Back in Amtrak's heyday, which I call the 1980's, there was always a printed train schedule in your room when boarding a sleeper. That was also once the case on the Southern Pacific, with special schedules prepared for distribution on the train. Here's an example of the Overland Route  in 1956.

There may have been a separate one for the City of San Francisco.

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 05:36 by bandob.

Date: 01/24/23 06:53
Re: Timetable Tuesday: Schedules on the train
Author: Hou74-76

My goodness, I never knew just how grand the Overland was.  Now I appreciate even more the fall from grace the train endured in the 1960s and how that must have saddened many travelers and fans.

I love the artistic license used with the image of the lounge.  Did SP waiters really wear cocktail jackets when working the car?  Wasn't the SP uniform a simple white coat with black bow tie?  Well, I never traveled  the mid-century version of the Overland.  I wish I had.

Date: 01/24/23 07:39
Author: dan

So on the UP it was the city of St Louis really, which just got new domes via Denver, I imagine the Cof SF would have been a little quicker to the east Coast?

Date: 01/24/23 17:06
Author: chakk

Don't recall ever seeing that paint scheme on an Espee PA.

Hakk

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds