Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Nostalgia & History > For my friend Bob

Date: 01/24/23 03:47
For my friend Bob
Author: santafe199

When Bob Krieger passed away recently I was taken by surprise as much as anyone else. I had just spoken to him on the phone a few days prior. Toward the end of a routine conversation he told me he was actually in the hospital. At the time I was shocked, but he seemed to downplay it as some routine check-up on his heart. Next thing I knew...... The suddenness of his passing reenforces just how fragile and precious our time here on the good Earth is.

I first met Bob at the UPHS convention in Topeka in 2013. We had gotten to know each other through TO and realized we had many mutual friends. One of those mutual friends, the late Art Gibson had pulled a couple of strings and I was able to give a one-time-only presentation of UP stuff I had shot around Kansas in the 70s & 80s. I called it “Uncle Pete through the eyes of a Santa Fe fan”. During the week of the upcoming convention Bob had asked if I wouldn’t mind showing him around my beloved Flint Hills. He had an afternoon free from his duties of ‘minding the UP store’ during the rest of the week. I was thrilled that he asked me, so of course I said yes! When the time came our little duo morphed into a trio as TO member Dave Berner, aka “SantaFe” also came along.

The three of us had a blast charging around central Kansas, and I was able to log some interesting shots despite the overcast weather. Here is a quick photo-story of my first railfan jog with Bob, along with a couple of historical classics from the camera of Art Gibson himself:

1. UP 934 is at Cheyenne, WY w/ unknown train #___. This is a re-post from an earlier thread. This time I employed every little Photoshop trick I knew to get the best post-worthy image I could. Ya gotta love the heavy flavor of passenger action on the platform on this September 6, 1969.
Original Kodachrome slide by William A. Gibson (WAG) Jr, aka “Art”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 04:01 by santafe199.

Date: 01/24/23 03:49
Re: For my friend Bob

The next 3 images are of Bob during our little excursion around my Kansas neck-o-the-woods. It was during this delightful time that I learned what a great sense of humor Bob had. Read on:

2. With Mr Berner driving we were on our way down to tour the heart of the Kansas Flint Hills. When Bob spotted this rural road sign he immediately had Dave turn around so he could have his picture taken with the it. “UP” road is a sort of stub road between Chase County roads “U” & “Uw”. In all my years of chasing & shooting in the area I had totally forgotten we had a sign reading “UP RD”. Of course, I fully understood why a retired member of the Union Pacific Steam Crew living in Wyoming would want to pose next to such a rural road sign in Chase County, KS. (This image was taken near Gladstone, KS)

3. On our way back toward Topeka we stopped at Ellinor for a couple of trains. Bob hit another rural Kansas jackpot as we found a parked train with UP power leading.

4. Not yet back to Topeka we stopped at Lebo, KS -still on the “transcon”- and caught this passing intermodal. When Bob suddenly snapped to attention and started giving the Heil Hitler salute I knew I should shoot pictures and ask later! Bob explained how he was poking some fun at a few German-owned containers rolling by. It was a moment of hilarity I’ll never forget. I later learned that Bob was very proud of his German-American heritage.
(Photos 2-4 taken July 25, 2013)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 04:25 by santafe199.

Date: 01/24/23 03:51

A couple of years later Bob put me up at his place in Cheyenne, during a multi-stop railfan tour of SE Wyoming, the Colorado “Front Range” and Western Kansas during the trek back home.

5. Here’s Bob at his desk at the UPHS office.

6. Later that day we went over to visit Wahsatch and found Mr Steve Lee there. I had never met Steve before, and it was enjoyable listening to these 2 longtime friends catching up with each other...
Photos 5 & 6 in Cheyenne, WY on August 17, 2015.

Date: 01/24/23 03:52

For the final image we must go back 25 years to a time when both Bob & Steve were on the hallowed UP Steam Crew...

7. This is Salina, KS in October of 1990. And there’s Bob sitting in the fireman’s seat, looking back at photographer Art Gibson.
Again, original Kodachrome slide by William A. Gibson (WAG) Jr, aka “Art”.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Hiball Bob, on clear signals. May your fire always burn clean & hot...

Date: 01/24/23 04:14
Author: UP951West

Lance, all I can say about this posting and your words is THANK YOU .
Bob was a friend of mine , too.  May his soul rest in peace.  --Kelly

Date: 01/24/23 04:51
Author: refarkas

An "A+" way to honor Bob Krieger.
Bob

Date: 01/24/23 05:51
Author: bandob

A wonderful tribute. How I wish I had met him on one of my past trips to Cheyenne.

B&OBill

Date: 01/24/23 06:04
Author: valmont

Perfect Lance! Very well done and very well deserved ...   

Date: 01/24/23 06:46
Author: Gonut1

Nice Tribute Lance, excellent.
gonut

Date: 01/24/23 06:57
Author: gcm

Excellent tribute Lance,
Gary

Date: 01/24/23 07:04
Author: BlaineM

A very nice photo of #903 at the historic station at Cheyenne.  But I have really enjoyed your tribute to our friend Bob.  I too met Bob at the UPHS Convention.  Until recently I was a member since the inception.  I enjoyed the any conversations with Bob at Model conventions also.  I am to with many that miss him.  I really enjoyed your post and bringing back memories thank you.
Blaine
American Fork

Date: 01/24/23 07:11
Author: Roadjob

A great railfan tribute!! It is sad to lose a good friend, and in our relatively small community, [railfans'] even tougher, because it is a unique bond that ties us together. A fine tribute Lance, and a nice collection of photos!!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 01/24/23 07:26
Author: dan

934 is on the city of portland it appears

Date: 01/24/23 08:44
Author: FiveChime

Great photos of BOB, best posted here so far.
Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 01/24/23 08:58
Author: Hou74-76

Bob deserved every ounce of credit and effort you put into this wonderfully curated photo display.  While I only met him once & briefly, I noticed he indulged every 844 fan with respect and good nature.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 09:30 by Hou74-76.

Date: 01/24/23 09:10
Author: Ritzville

An Excellent salute and tribute to your friend Bob and Art, grest narrative.

Larry

Date: 01/24/23 09:41
Author: tomstp

Bob was a heck of a nice man.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0803 seconds