Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Nostalgia & History > F Unit Friday Marion IA

Date: 03/17/23 03:41
F Unit Friday Marion IA
Author: MILW86A

62C and friends take a break at Marion, IA on the Milwaukee Road Iowa Division 2 14 1971 photo from Bill Kuba. 

MILW86A 

Date: 03/17/23 07:55
Re: F Unit Friday Marion IA
Author: milwrdfan

Would this be about 22nd street or so, east of downtown Marion?  Because of the sun angle, the train is eastbound, and without that elevator around any more, I'm having a hard time placing exactly where this would have been.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/23 07:59 by milwrdfan.

Date: 03/17/23 10:13
Author: MILW86A

milwrdfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would this be about 22nd street or so, east of
> downtown Marion?  Because of the sun angle, the
> train is eastbound, and without that elevator
> around any more, I'm having a hard time placing
> exactly where this would have been.

19TH street in Marion was the crossing at the west end of the yard and 35th St was the east end. So yes around 22nd St. No train just power laying over.

MILW86A 

Date: 03/17/23 19:38
Author: krm152

Exc ellent photo.  Looks really cold.  Thanks for the interesting posting.
ALLEN

Date: 03/22/23 14:07
Author: cabman

I'm shivvering just looking at this shot!  Thanks, Dave for posting it.  The Purina elevator in the background confused me since I moved to Marion in the Fall of 1972 and I'm wondering what is there today?

Date: 03/22/23 14:14
Author: milwrdfan

I'm guessing it's about where the KFC would be now.  If you zoom in on Google Maps aerial view, you can see some old concrete south of the KFC which looks suspiciously like what tracks at a grain elevator would look like.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds