Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tehachapi - can't do this today!

Date: 03/17/23 17:03
Tehachapi - can't do this today!
Author: dwatry

In August 1975, railfans pretty much had free rein to wander most places around Tehachapi Loop.  Witness this shot of an SP eastbound with the head end power in a classic position over the train's midtrain helpers.  Today, you can't stand where I was standing to shoot this photo.  But for the real surprise -  check out the 2 guys sitting on the tunnel portal directly over the track!  Try that today!

Duncan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/23 18:36 by dwatry.

Date: 03/17/23 18:17
Re: Tehachapi - can't do this today!
Author: PHall

The two guys on the tunnel portal are two of the reasons you can't go there anymore.
The stupidity of a few ruined it for everyone else...

Date: 03/17/23 18:36
Author: dwatry

Not endorsing any particular behavior - just showing the way it was!

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/23 19:43 by dwatry.

Date: 03/17/23 18:43
Author: Fiftyfooter

Actually, I am glad to see that!  It shows the good ole' days before all the rules.  Heck, you guys never broke any?
Easy to sit 50 years later and judge, but that was the way life was back then.  Noone really cared if you screwed up as long as it didn't bother others!
I am sure the engineers weren't worried!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/23 18:44 by Fiftyfooter.

Date: 03/17/23 18:55
Author: DynamicBrake

I'd like to see them sitting on the east portal!  Nice shot btw, thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 03/17/23 19:35
Author: HT6

Fiftyfooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, I am glad to see that!  It shows the
> good ole' days before all the rules.  Heck, you
> guys never broke any?
> Easy to sit 50 years later and judge, but that was
> the way life was back then.  Noone really cared
> if you screwed up as long as it didn't bother
> others!
> I am sure the engineers weren't worried!

Yes indeed.  Common sense and not blaming others for your stupidity use to be the norm.

Date: 03/17/23 19:42
Author: alongthejointline

My theory is those two were encrusted in soot and petrified since they the day they watched an AC-9 or two charge below them.

Date: 03/18/23 01:37
Author: coach

What closed off the Loop were railfans TRASHING the place.  That really ticked off the ranch owner.  Had everyone been cleaner (and kept their distance from the ranch), we'd probably still be granted access.

Maybe someday that ranch will become a railfan B&B, or just a railfan dude ranch.  

Date: 03/18/23 03:58
Author: Roadjob

I used to call that the classic loop shot,and I sure got a few of them. The two guys on top the tunnel, so what! I wouldn't have done it, but I sure got some up close and personal shots of trains in my time. What ruined it for the fans though was the fans. People trashed the area, and wandered all over the ranch away from the railroad areas. That was stupid!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 03/18/23 08:48
Author: trackplanner

Been on top of that tunnel many times back then, even on overnighters. Took my nephew on a campout there once and some drunk old wino broght his teenage sons and they ran around harrassing the ranch's horses. Next thing we knew, the SP bulls in pulled up in a blue sedan with guns on their hips and were questioning us and telling us to leave. Some people have no respect...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds