Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Nostalgia & History > Did they take coaches to Alcatraz by barge?

Date: 03/18/23 19:30
Did they take coaches to Alcatraz by barge?
Author: bakersfielddave

watched a program  the other day from the Untouchables series  with a story called the ''Big Train''

taking  Capone from Atlanta  to S F   then barged the 2  coaches from Tiburon out to Alcatraz island as shown in a scene at the end of the show

was this really done for transporting convicts, did they remain on the train whilst being taken by water out there?

also in the scene where the gunfight happens it looks like the studio backlot with a  real spur there, possibly Culver City  hills in the background or similar location, did any film studios have spurs  installed?

the film is available to watch on ytube 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/23 19:38 by bakersfielddave.

Date: 03/18/23 21:06
Re: Did they take coaches to Alcatraz by barge?
Author: TCnR

Quite a bit more info than there was a few years ago, some interesting photos of the barge and slip at Tiburon:

https://landmarkssociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Bel-Tib-94920-Jam-2020-11.pdf

https://www.opensfhistory.org/osfhcrucible/2018/11/25/train-to-alcatraz-a-closer-look/

Date: 03/18/23 22:16
Author: wp1801

very interesting.

Date: 03/18/23 23:51
Author: bakersfielddave

thanks everyone a great historical  story that i never knew happened 

Date: 03/19/23 07:21
Author: atsf121

Never knew, that's super interesting!  Even though I grew up in the Bay Area, it's hard to believe I've only been to the dock at Alcatraz, was on the way to Angel Island.

Nathan

Date: 03/19/23 14:10
Author: MojaveBill

We learn something new every day! Thanks!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.029 seconds