Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Nostalgia & History > And then there was the little /blue/red/ green giant! Not really.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/30/23 03:29
And then there was the little /blue/red/ green giant! Not really.
Author: Roadjob

I always threw the Central Railroad of New Jersey into the after thought  Category. If I was in New Jersey, it was usually for PC, or EL. CNJ was a take a look around and if I see anything, shoot it kind of stop. The best thing that gave me exposure to the Central was the pool arrangement between the EL and CNJ. This agreement was set up following CNJ's pullout of  Pennsylvania. It moved CNJ traffic between Elizabethport NJ. and Scranton. Power was always mixed between the two roads. This got me somewhat interested in exploring CNJ, and, to my surprise, I got into shooting the road around its busy Elizabethport complex. Looking back, thankfully I did. So here's my story of the runt of the litter of the five more sizeable railroads that became the big C.

Only got to see the CNJ in Allentown twice, when they owned the place. Both days the weather was miserable, so I didn't bother with the road until I read later that they were not there anymore. Never had the time to chase anything, so never had the time to develop an affinity for the railroad.

top,,,westbound coming into Allentown yard. I was perched on a hill in a miserable cold rain.

middle and bottom...different day same weather. Eastbound leaving Allentown. Power combinations were great on their road trains.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/23 08:11 by Roadjob.

Date: 03/30/23 03:34
Re: And then there was the little green giant! Not really.

top...once in awhile, I did remember to take roster shots at Allentown

middle and bottom....even after the road jobs left, CNJ hung around for awhile in the Lehigh Valley era. Working the still busy Lehigh and New England cement belt.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 03/30/23 03:38

top and middle...two ends of the EL/CNJ pool service...Top is ES99 leaving Elizabethport, middle is SE98 leaving Scranton on EL.

bottom...EL was not above using layover CNJ uhits for local purposes while they visited Scranton. Here are two in helper service.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/23 07:47 by Roadjob.

Date: 03/30/23 03:44

top...you can get depressed looking at this shot. Former CNJ passenger terminal in 1975. A few short years earlier this place was a mass of tracks, and hosted B&O's Royal Blue service, and the Reading's flagship Crusader.

middle...areas around Bound Brook NJ. had enough railroad activity that CNJ was just a bonus shot. Westbound. Not sure of exact spot, but you know how far I was away from Jersey City

bottom...west end of Elizabethport yard.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 03/30/23 03:47

top...weekend layover in Phillipsburg NJ.

middle and bottom...CNJ in looks and name only. NJDOT was running the commuter show at this point. Both trains in or near South Amboy NJ.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 03/30/23 06:05
Author: refarkas

Wow! Too many great photos to have a favorite.
Bob

Date: 03/30/23 06:13
Author: gcm

I don't see many Central Railroad of New Jersey images.
All of these are great !
Gary

Date: 03/30/23 06:38
Author: ClubCar

These are terrific photos of the Central New Jersey and they bring back some memories for me.  At one time, the B&O R.R. owned a lot of the CNJ stock and as you know, many of their later locomotives were purchased and painted in B&O colors.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 03/30/23 07:48
Author: ntharalson

Good stuff, thanks for posting.  Now, I have a question.  When the CNJ pulled out of PA, I had thought the LV took over their operations, (CNJ's,) and pooled them.  Can anyone clarify this?  TIA for a repsonse.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/30/23 07:53
Author: erielackawanna

Fantastic series... really enjoyed.

Date: 03/30/23 07:54
Author: Pattenburg

That middle photo with the mile post might be where the Reading split off the CNJ near what is now Polhemus Lane in Bridgewater. In the background though is the tall smokestacks which I don't recall Calco having anything like that having worked there.

Date: 03/30/23 08:50
Author: icancmp193

My relationship with the CNJ began with Dover & Rockaway Branch, which literally ran through my grandmother's back yard. I eventually discovered Hoptacong Junction on my bicycle, and later Bound Brook, Bethlehem and Allentown. Despite it's run-down condition and ratty equipment (SD35's excluded, because even the SD40's were in a haphazard patch of their B&O origins), there was always plenty of traffic and the CNJ is probably my favorite railroad.

TJY

Date: 03/30/23 08:52
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch of a seldom seen line.
JB

Date: 03/30/23 09:01
Author: aehouse

Bill,

You know.

Art

Date: 03/30/23 09:23
Author: perklocal

Wow ! Love the "Jersey Builder" commuter consists.

Date: 03/30/23 09:25
Author: Ritzville

A fascinating look at the CNJ, very enjoyable series!

Larry

Date: 03/30/23 09:33
Author: callen77

I find the area around Allentown fascinating, even though it's a massive shadow of its former self -- was too young (or not alive yet) to witness any of its glory years, but photos like these definitely get my juices going. Thanks for yet another wonderful photo series.

Date: 03/30/23 10:08
Author: thebluecomet

Good stuff, thanks for posting.  Now, I have a question.  When the CNJ pulled out of PA, I had thought the LV took over their operations, (CNJ's,) and pooled them.  Can anyone clarify this?  TIA for a repsonse.  

The CNJ pullout from PA was a termination of their lease from the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Co.  The CNJ never owned any trackage in PA.  The Central Railroad of PA was a paper corporation the CNJ used to get around the NJ taxes.  It didn't work. On April 1, 1972 the LV bascially assumed the lease.  The only exception were the former L&NE tracks which were separate from the LC&N lease.  The LV eventually ran that also in the last years.  Not sure what you refer to as "pooled".  The CNJ maintained a through train with the Reading via Allentown (HJ-2,JH-1) that used the LV from Easton to East Penn Jct. in Allentown. The one piece of track that was removed rather quickly in 1972 was the CNJ main between Phillipsburg NJ and Bethlehem.  The LV and CNJ had consolidated alot of trackage in PA beginning back in 1965.  The LV used their own main between Bethlehem and Lehighton for through trains, such as the Apollo.  Anything working the Allentown yard went down the CNJ side east of Lehighton.  Speaking of Allentown, the LV closed several of their own smaller yards (Richards, Calypso, Lehighton) and consolidated everything into the old CNJ facility.

Date: 03/30/23 10:13
Author: thebluecomet

Thank you for your coverage of my "home" road.  The one photo labeled layover in Phillipsburg is not correct.  Looks like the west end of Raritan.  Too many tracks and the curve doesn't match P'Burg.

Date: 03/30/23 10:52

Sorry, never was in Raritan

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0779 seconds