Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > 8 Random Photos of Interesting Stuff -- Bill Howes Photos

Date: 05/24/23 14:04
8 Random Photos of Interesting Stuff -- Bill Howes Photos
Author: MartyBernard

1. Amtrak 3260 Wingate Brook, May 1974, departing Chicago Union Station, Mel Bernardo photo, Bill Howes collection.

2. ATSF Business Car 405, LaJunta, CO July 15, 1964 Bill Howes photo. Bill Howes photo

3. B&M Local Freight from CP line, Diesel 1543, white River Jct., VT, August 25, 1959. Bill Howes photo

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/23 16:51 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/24/23 14:05
Re: 8 Random Photos of Interesting Stuff -- Bill Howes Photos

4. D&RGW Train 17, the Rio Grande Zephyr (former California Zephyr) Sleeper Obs Dome Silver Horizon in Denver, CO September 1970.  Bill Howes photo

5. Detroit Toledo & Ironton GP38AC 213 and GP40-2 409 with train at NA Tower, Cincinnati, OH May 1978.  Bill Howes photo

6. NYC Flexi-Van Facility adjacent to LaSalle St. Station, Chicago, IL June 18, 1966

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/23 14:57 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/24/23 14:05
Re: 7 Random Photos of Interesting Stuff -- Bill Howes Photos

7. SAL 28101 Insulated Boxcar on WM and photoed in York, PA February 1977 by Bill Howes.

8. Union Station Chicago, IL August 31, 1959, Bill Howes photo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/23 14:36 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/24/23 14:37
Author: BigSkyBlue

Pic 1 is departing Chicago Union Station.
Pic 4 is the Rio Grande Zephyr at Denver Union Station between March 1970 when the California Zephyr was discontinued and April 1971 when Amtrak took over.  During this time CB&Q cars ran though from Chicago to Salt Lake and Ogden.  The AT&SF train to La Junta is visible on the left, and it looks like a UP 8444 excursion consist on the right with the lounge car and cafeteria dining car.
BSB

Date: 05/24/23 15:08
Author: Chico56

Photo number 2 is SF biz car 405, not 905.  Otherwise great stuff!
Chico

Date: 05/24/23 15:43
Author: RetiredHogger

#3 looks like it could be straight off a model railroad. Pretty neat.

Thanks for posting.

Date: 05/24/23 17:23
Author: Notch7

Thanks for posting this nice assortment of pics.  I especially like the shot of the Wingate Brook observation car.  Those high windowed observations are beautiful and look classy to me.  I believe the Seaboard box is a XML load restraint car rather than a XMI insulated car.  Seaboard and later Seaboard Coast Line mainly used yellow Fruit Growers Express insulated boxes, often with SAL or SCL reporting marks.  They hauled a lot of Schlitz beer through my hometown in those yellow cars.

Date: 05/24/23 18:28
Author: Hou74-76

That photo of the Wingate Brook was probably on the Lone Star train 15 headed to Houston.  I zoomed in on the reservation number board and it looks like 1515.  But that aside, I remember how that car came down to Houston regularly and I was impressed to see a New York Central car on what was mostly a Santa Fe heritage train.  I would ride around the wye on the morning turn sitting high and proud on the observation deck. 

Notch7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting this nice assortment of pics. 
> I especially like the shot of the Wingate Brook
> observation car.  Those high windowed
> observations are beautiful and look classy to
> me.  

Date: 05/24/23 19:06
Author: UP951West

Marty, thanks for posting these interesting slides. 

Date: 05/25/23 01:45
Author: mp51w

Can anyone identify the car behind Wingate Brook?  It has a name and no Amtrak arrow on the side!  Looks like louvered window shades.

Date: 05/25/23 04:38
Author: Topfuel

mp51w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone identify the car behind Wingate
> Brook?  It has a name and no Amtrak arrow on the
> side!  Looks like louvered window shades.

That's one of the ex-UP 44 seat Pullman-Standard 1950 coaches that Amtrak bought from Bill Kratville's Auto-Liner Corp.  They were named in the "Prairie" series by Kratville, hence the blue name board area.  Those cars still had their wood-slat venetian blinds at that time.

Date: 05/25/23 05:32
Author: mvrr10

Marty-thank you for sharing these with us.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds