Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > Steeplecabs at Preston, ON

Date: 05/25/23 05:09
Steeplecabs at Preston, ON
Author: JPB

I don't know the exact date my father took these pictures at Preston ON but I'm guessing it was late '50s or 1960ish as diesels replaced the steeplecabs by October 1961 on the CP's Grand River Railway and Lake Erie & Northern. Preston was not only the car barn but also where #226 and #337 were built by Preston Car & Coach. #230, built by Baldwin Westinghous, went to the Cornwall Street Railway as its #17 and apparently has been preserved at the Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario at Smiths Falls needing much restoration (I think).

Date: 05/25/23 05:37
Re: Steeplecabs at Preston, ON
Author: JPB

LE&N #335 leads one more across the Speed River perhaps heading for CP interchange. This line still is in active use today to connect the CP main to a Toyota assembly plant.
The LE&N stopped interurban service on  April 23, 1955 - the bottom 2 photos show LE&N interurban #797 preserved at Rail City at Sandy Creek NY in 1959. #797, the only surviving example of a CP Electric Lines interurban, now resides at the Halton County Radial Railway Museum: https://hcry.org/portfolio-items/lake-erie-northern-railway-797/

Date: 05/25/23 05:39
Author: refarkas

Wonderful traction treasures - Thanks for sharing these.
Bob

Date: 05/25/23 10:17
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting series!

Larry

Date: 05/25/23 20:35
Author: Atlpete

Astonishingly good and rare photos. WOW!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0662 seconds