Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Nostalgia & History > Cassoday, KS not exactly by request!

Date: 05/25/23 08:18
Cassoday, KS not exactly by request!
Author: santafe199

In this recent thread: ( Signal Sunday: New Cassoday (trainorders.com) ) I posted the finished DT version of the west end of Cassoday, KS on the BNSF Emporia Sub. TO member ‘MacBeau’ kinda-sorta asked for an image of a train. With no confidence of finding anything current I went digging thru some recent outings. But the BNSF is still running most of its eastbound traffic via the Mulvane ~ Wichita ~ Newton ~ Ellinor gateway. And I just don’t have any eastbound trains coming through this new construction. Yet!

The best I can do is post a couple of images from my Santa Fe archives. Hence, I’m posting this on the Nostalgia forum...

1. AT&SF 5587 is eastbound, taking the siding with train 901 M-1 at Cassoday, KS. I had this scan ear-marked for a future ‘comm-code lines’ thread. I’m standing near the S Washington St/NE Stony Creek Rd crossing.
Photo date: November 15, 1979.

2. AT&SF 5694 is westbound with train 1-188-03 at the west end of Cassoday, KS. Today in this view you will see an overhead signal bridge accommodating a transition from 3 tracks to 2. The west end of Cassoday siding is in the same place it was before the Emporia Sub’s conversion to DT.
Photo date: May 4, 1985.

Thanks for asking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/23 08:21 by santafe199.

Date: 05/25/23 08:35
Re: Cassoday, KS not exactly by request!
Author: monaddave

Curiosity wonders why the Southern and CR gons in the house track? Those 901 trains were real mortgage lifters.
Dave

Date: 05/25/23 08:50

monaddave Wrote: > ... Southern and CR gons in the house track ...

I can barely remember that track running in behind the depot. I do remember taking this shot, thinking I was breaking some sacred railfan photo rule by shooting under all those wires. I knew I would have good light on the train, so I took the "If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude and made the comm/code lines a main part of the composition. 

So now I'm wondering how many of us passed up otherwise good train shots because of close-in wires like this. WHOA... I see hands going up all over the country... ;^)

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/23 08:50 by santafe199.

Date: 05/25/23 09:01
Author: Milw_E70

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I just don’t have any eastbound trains
> coming through this new construction. Yet!

You should take advantage of the tie gang working Mon-Fri between Newton and Strong City right now then ;-)

Date: 05/25/23 09:09

Milw_E70 Wrote: > ... You should take advantage of the tie gang working Mon-Fri between Newton and Strong City right now ...

Yikes, poor Willie V!!! He's already pushing 2 grand on the odometer. And I just committed to a 4 day chase of the 4014 in June...

:^(

Date: 05/25/23 09:10
Author: ironmtn

Two fine shots - thanks. Neat to have seen Cassoday now previously, and then in these images.

As for the wires, I regularly shot under them, over and around them and included them in the composition, if I could. They never particularly bothered me as an element in a scene, and I would work with and around them. Which was what most guys I knew did. Only if they just flat-out plain got in the way, and there was no realistic action I could take to get them out of a full-out blocking position of a decent view of the train, well. then....they bothered me - a lot!

Appreciate these two fine images at Cassoday.

MC

Date: 05/25/23 09:18
Author: Ritzville

Very enjoyable shots!

Larry

Date: 05/25/23 12:16
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, Lance!

texchief1
Randy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds