Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Bit Of Traction PE, LATL SF, TTC, SEPTA

Date: 05/25/23 15:07
A Bit Of Traction PE, LATL SF, TTC, SEPTA
Author: Ritzville

It was a partly cloudy to cloudy day in Ritzville, WA with a high-low of 75-45. Here is a bit of Traction from the Andy Goddard collection.

1. Pacific Eletric possible yard in the 1950's. Any extra info welcomed. Jerry Squier photo.
2. Pacific Electric PCC 5002 headed for Glendale-Burbank in the 1950's. Any extra info welcomed.
3. Pacific Elctric green blimp possibly on it's way to Long Beach, CA. Any extra info welcomed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/23 15:21 by Ritzville.

Date: 05/25/23 15:15
Re: A Bit Of Traction PE, LATL SF, TTC, SEPTA

4. LATL H series streetcars 1354 on V Line and Charter 2601 in the 1950's. Location info needed. Jerry Squier photo.
5. San Francisco PCC 1056 in Kansas City paint scheme at Market and Castro Sts. in 1995. Jack Garcia photo.
6. TTC(Toronto) line up after auto vs streetcar accident in the 1970's. Any extra info welcomed. Angus McIntyre photo.

Date: 05/25/23 15:19

7. SEPTA(Philly) Trolley buses at 32nd and Dickinson in 1973. Any extra info welcomed. Mitchell Libby photo.

That's it for today. Hope everyone has a great evening and tomorrow. Thanks so much for looking!

Larry
Ritzville, WA

Date: 05/25/23 16:54
Author: refarkas

These are truly appreciated.
Bob

Date: 05/25/23 17:36
Author: cewherry

No 1 is looking north, at the Los Angeles end of PE's 4-track main line. The cars at the far left are in one of the storage
tracks used to hold equipment not needed immediately, i.e. off-peak hours. This location, at Hooper Ave & E. 9th St was
the closest location to PE's 6th & Main station and was used frequently to take the pressure off the 5 depot tracks when needed.
Those Blimps at the far right are on tracks leading to PE's 8th St yard and provided a turning option using the wye that was
formed from the tracks on 9th that led directly toward the yard. The cars center-stage are a single car San Pedro bound
train and what appears to be a north bound 3 car morning schedule.

No 2 is on the Burbank Line west of Arden Dr in Glendale. This line had always been single-track despite the ample room as
seen here, until 1950 when an additional track was laid in the pavement of Glenoaks Blvd, (the westbound lanes we see) from
Providencia St to Orange Grove Ave, about one-half mile, to the small yard at Burbank. Here we see car 5002, just west of
Grandview Ave, approaching Senorita siding, the only place to meet trains between Providencia and Arden Jct.

No 3 looks like a railfan excursion on the double-track line between Compton and Dominguez Jct. The 1543 is moving southward
about to pass under a bridge just before the passenger stop at Seminary. Already we can see the industrial development in the area.

No 4 I'm guessing this is at the south end of the Santa Fe Ave "branch" of LATL's Vernon Line. The branch on Santa Fe Ave to Slauson Ave
as well as the "Leonis St" Branch from the V-Line to Downey Rd were both abandoned on May 5, 1955 leading to massive retirements of many
of LATL's H-Class cars. Corrections solicited.

Charlie

Date: 05/25/23 19:31

Thanks Bob for your nice comments. Thanks Charlie for your as always interesting in depth classroom with lots of great information. much appreicated to you both!

Larry

Date: 05/25/23 19:37
Author: krm152

THUMPING THURSDAY comments:
1 - PE #436 San Pedro destination sign is neat.  Cannot precisely identify auto in scene but their general appearance is mid 1950's.
2 - Auto partially visible to left of #5002 is a 1954 Ford. Photo probably taken around same time as Photo 1.
3 - #1543 has the mainline all to itself in this nice scene.
4 - Looks like they are making arrangements for a race.
5 - Very nice scene, the background is absolutely super.
6 - Those trolley cars must have had many unhappy passengers on board.
7 - Trolley Busses #201 - #265 are ACF-Brill Model TC-44 Blt 1947, had to be fun to ride.

Thanks for opening your treasure chest once again.
Your postings are always enjoyed and appreciated.

ALLEN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/23 21:25 by krm152.

Date: 05/25/23 20:32
Author: Atlpete

Thanks for posting this series, right now my absolute favorite as in "#1 with a bullet "
8^)

Date: 05/25/23 21:56

Thanks Allen for your as always enjoyable reviews and auto makes and bus make and year built. Not sure what the foreign car was in #2. Thanks "Altpete" for your comment. Much appreciated to you both!

Larry

Date: 05/25/23 22:43
Author: cewherry

Ritzville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Not sure what the foreign car was in #2.

I believe icancmp193 i.d. it as a Hillman in an earlier reply.

CEW 

Date: 05/25/23 23:01

Thanks Charlie.

Larry

Date: 05/26/23 04:34
Author: masterphots

Did a bit of street racing on Glenoaks (Photo #2) ca 1959-60.  Not to mention cruising into Hoover High School territory on some evenings.

Date: 05/26/23 07:26
Author: AMTRUK

cewherry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ritzville Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >  Not sure what the foreign car was in #2.
>
> I believe icancmp193 i.d. it as a Hillman in an
> earlier reply.
>
> CEW 

It appears to be a '53 or '54 Hillman Lynx. I learned to drive in a '64 Hillman Husky.

Luke

Date: 05/26/23 14:48
Author: ApproachCircuit

I think that car might be a simca?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.078 seconds